Results 1 to 10 of 10
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #1

    32.look me

    Lift the veil once, and look me in the face, said she.
    Is it right ? Thanks!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: 32.look me

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Lift the veil once, and look me in the face, said she.
    Is it right ? Thanks!
    Yes, "to look someone in the face" is idiomatic.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Apr 2009
    • Posts: 12,310
    #3

    Re: 32.look me

    Not a teacher.

    "Look me in the eye" is the common expression in America.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

    • Join Date: Jun 2010
    • Posts: 24,492
    #4

    Re: 32.look me

    Quote Originally Posted by SoothingDave View Post
    "Look me in the eye" is the common expression in America.
    And in the UK.

    Rover

  2. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #5

    Re: 32.look me

    Why can't there be more than one common expression?
    "to look someone in the face" sounds common enough to me.

  3. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #6

    Re: 32.look me

    There are more than 20 hits for "look me in the face" on COCA. Unfortunately I can't access the BNC at the moment.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #7

    Re: 32.look me

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    Yes, "to look someone in the face" is idiomatic.
    Follow you , thanks!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #8

    Re: 32.look me

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    There are more than 20 hits for "look me in the face" on COCA. Unfortunately I can't access the BNC at the moment.
    Now that many people hold "look me in the face" or in the eye correct, then , of course we can say : Look him at home , look it over there,come and look me in the office, in short, look somebody + somewhere is correct.Is that so?Thanks.

  4. Raymott's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

    • Join Date: Jun 2008
    • Posts: 24,091
    #9

    Re: 32.look me

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Now that many people hold "look me in the face" or in the eye correct, then , of course we can say : Look him at home , look it over there,come and look me in the office, in short, look somebody + somewhere is correct.Is that so?Thanks.
    No! It's an idiom. You usually can't generalise from idioms like that.
    "Look someone in the X" is not an idiom.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #10

    Re: 32.look me

    Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No! It's an idiom. You usually can't generalise from idioms like that.
    "Look someone in the X" is not an idiom.
    Thanks a lot !

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •