Results 1 to 7 of 7
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 385
    #1

    until or by

    Which one is better to use?

    You'll be fine by/until tonight.

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: until or by

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mckane View Post
    Which one is better to use?

    You'll be fine by/until tonight.
    They are both correct depending on context.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Persian
      • Home Country:
      • Iran
      • Current Location:
      • Iran

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 385
    #3

    Re: until or by

    Thanks indeed.Would you plz elaborate? In which specific contexts?

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #4

    Re: until or by

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mckane View Post
    Thanks indeed.Would you plz elaborate? In which specific contexts?
    "You'll be fine by tonight" means you are not fine now but by the time the night falls, you will be alright.
    You'll be fine from tonight" means that until tonight you will not be fine, from tonight onwards you will be fine.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 6,332
    #5

    Re: until or by

    Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Mckane View Post
    Which one is better to use?

    You'll be fine by/until tonight.
    ********** NOT A TEACHER **********

    Hello, Mr. McKane.

    (1) Of course, I may be completely wrong, but this is how I interpret your

    sentences.

    (2) A patient and a doctor are talking:



    "I feel very sick. Don't worry, Mr. Smith. Just take this medicine

    and I guarantee you that you will feel fine by tonight. Thank you

    so much doctor. It's now 1 p.m. I shall look forward to feeling better

    when nighttime comes."

    (3) A doctor and a patient are talking:

    "Mrs. Jones, I want you to start taking this medicine right now. Oh,

    Doctor, I do not really need any medicine. I feel fine. Listen, Mrs.

    Jones, if you do not take this medicine, you will feel fine until tonight,

    and then you will suddenly become very sick."

    Thank you
    Last edited by TheParser; 14-Jul-2010 at 21:20.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,838
    #6

    Re: until or by

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "You'll be fine by tonight" means you are not fine now but by the time the night falls, you will be alright.
    You'll be fine from tonight" means that until tonight you will not be fine, from tonight onwards you will be fine.
    The original post quoted "by" and "until". I agree entirely with Bhaisahab's example for "by".

    As far as "You'll be fine until tonight" goes, this means that you are now fine and you will continue to be fine but suggests that tonight you will stop being fine.

  4. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #7

    Re: until or by

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The original post quoted "by" and "until". I agree entirely with Bhaisahab's example for "by".

    As far as "You'll be fine until tonight" goes, this means that you are now fine and you will continue to be fine but suggests that tonight you will stop being fine.
    Yes, I agree. I don't know where I got "from" from.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •