Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

I dreamed last night that I was flogged by Dr. Raine.

flog = whip

but

He tried to flog his old car, but no one would buy it. = He tried to drive his old car, but nobody bought it.

drive = Brit .; colloq . to sell something quickly or cheap , " drive "

drive = foist on = palm off

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Hi, Vil,

It's OK, except for

drive = Brit .; colloq . to sell something quickly or cheap , " drive "

drive = foist on = palm off

I've been speaking colloquial BE for 70 years and have never known drive to have this meaning.

I advise you to forget it.

Rover

Reactions: vil

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is flog used that way, Rover?

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
To 'drive a hard bargain' is an idiom which has specific meaning.

It's like 'to pull someone's leg' = joke.

We don't say 'pull someone's arm' to meaning the same thing.

[I am not a teacher]

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Offroad,

What are you talking about? You must have your little joke. I’m not a man to be trifled with. Don’t speak for nothing. Don’t go astray. The facts are not in your favor.

pull someone's leg

Play a joke on, tease, as in Are you serious about moving back in or are you pulling my leg?

drive a hard bargain
to work hard to negotiate prices or agreements in one's own favor. All right, sir, you drive a hard bargain. I'll sell you this car for $12,450. You drive a hard bargain, Jane, but I'll sign the contract.

drive a hard bargain
to demand a lot or refuse to give much when making an agreement with someone I'm impressed that you got £2000 for that car. You certainly drive a hard bargain.

drive a hard bargain - Idioms - by the Free Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.

drive a hard bargain: Information from Answers.com

commonly . drive a hard bargain; bargain dip . conduct complex negotiations (correct - to take a tough stance ( in negotiations ) , no concessions mishas); difficult negotiations Economics . roughly to pursue their interests in the transaction

V.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I dreamed last night that I was flogged by Dr. Raine.

flog = whip

V

Flogging (a) means beating with a whip, or possibly with another instrument ('suspected informers were flogged with chains before being killed') and (b) if with a whip, one which is usually many-tongued. It often takes place (c) in public and (d) as a form of punishment sanctioned by an institution, such as in the navy or a penal colony, or the state. This practice is also largely historical although flogging remains a form of punishment in some countries.

Whipping is more generic - to cane, birch, lash, flog and flagellate all mean to whip. Often, when we use 'whip', we think of a thin instrument - stick, rod, cane, leather strap - whose function may be, but is not necessarily, to whip ('In embarrassment, he whipped her legs with the wheat stalk'). Depending on the context, if you whip someone, you might just strike them once or repeatedly. Am I right: does to 'give something/someone a whip' mean to whip once, but to 'give something/someone a whipping' mean to beat with a whip (ie flog)?

bertietheblue

Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should add that 'flogging' (and even more so 'flagellation') might suggest that erotic pleasure is gained, if not referring to flogging as an institutional form of punishment. My immediate thought with the sentence you provided was that the person was having a sado-masochistic fantasy about being 'punished' by their doctor.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hi Offroad,

What are you talking about? You must have your little joke. I’m not a man to be trifled with. Don’t speak for nothing. Don’t go astray. The facts are not in your favor.
V.
Not following. What did I do wrong?;-)

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Offroad,

You should have to see the glaring difference between your pull someone's leg andmy drive a hard bargain.

V.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hi Offroad,

You should have to see the glaring difference between your pull someone's leg andmy drive a hard bargain.

V.
Vil, I think you have no reason to be so hard with Offroad. He or she (I hate this expression...) has a valid point. You can say "drive a hard bargain", but it doesn't mean that you can put anything in the place of "hard bargain" in this expression. It's just the same with "pull someone's leg". You can't say "pull someone's arm" or "pull someone's head". It's not idiomatic.

I hope I understood Offroad well.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Vil, I think you have no reason to be so hard with Offroad. He or she (I hate this expression...) has a valid point. You can say "drive a hard bargain", but it doesn't mean that you can put anything in the place of "hard bargain" in this expression. It's just the same with "pull someone's leg". You can't say "pull someone's arm" or "pull someone's head". It's not idiomatic.

I hope I understood Offroad well.
Yes, you did. That's exactly my point.

And you can call me Marcio, I just like extreme sports. And... I know, still, what 'drive a hard bargain' means. :-D

Always learning from your threads, Vil.:up:

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Yes, you did. That's exactly my point.

And you can call me Marcio, I just like extreme sports. And... I know, still, what 'drive a hard bargain' means. :-D

Always learning from your threads, Vil.:up:
OK, Marcio, I will remember :)

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi birdeen’s call,

Your showy incarnation in the part of the good Samaritan has reverential effect on me. I know, I have no right to exceed the bounds of the good manners. I’m sorry to have told to offroad the biting words in question. They were spoken when I played the wrong card with my aggressive defence of my thesis concerning the forcing my ideas upon others regarding the unaccustomed meaning of the flog = drive = Brit .; colloq . to sell something quickly or cheap. Sometimes twice two is not four and twice three is not six.

That all was not what I meant when I said it.

Thank you for your meddling.

V.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
OK, I see. Sorry about meddling.

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
If I say meddling, I lay particle stress on the positive connotation. For example as the meddling of Dr. House. ;-)

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.