Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 29
    #1

    "very you"?

    We can say "It was the very man who had helped us before" and even "It was very you" (meaning that something captured or showed the very essence of your personality), right?
    Now, I have my doubts about the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do that".
    What do you think about it?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #2

    Re: "very you"?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighPriest View Post
    We can say "It was the very man who had helped us before" and even "It was very you" (meaning that something captured or showed the very essence of your personality), right?
    Now, I have my doubts about the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do that".
    What do you think about it?
    When we say "It's very you", it's usually when someone has said, done or worn something that suits them very well or which reflects their personality very well. The "you" is used to replace a phrase like "suitable for you".

    Do you like my dress?
    Yes, it's very you!

    Last night, I said "Amazing" at least 20 times.
    Well, I'm not surprised. That's very you, after all!

    With the sentence you gave, it could be reworded "It's very you, choosing to do that!"

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 29
    #3

    Re: "very you"?

    Yes, I have no problem with that usage.
    Would you say that "very" is wrong in the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do it" if it is supposed to mean simple "It was you who chose to do it"?

  2. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #4

    Re: "very you"?

    Quote Originally Posted by HighPriest View Post
    Yes, I have no problem with that usage.
    Would you say that "very" is wrong in the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do it" if it is supposed to mean simple "It was you who chose to do it"?
    Yes - it's wrong. Instead, you could emphasize the 'you' by saying 'You were the one who was chosen to do it' or (rather more formal) 'It was indeed you who...'. Or, colloquially, 'It had to be you... ['that got the cushy job' - for example]'.

    But 'very' does work in the third person: 'It was the very [same] man I had seen earlier'. You can say either 'very man' (perhaps rather old-fashioned), or 'very same'; if you just said 'same' you could go on to say 'I'd seen earlier', but to my ear it would be more likely to have some extra syntactical 'underpinning' - 'it was the same man as the one I'd seen earlier', for example. Some people - and this really does sound archaic to me - use the word 'selfsame'.

    b

  3. euncu's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Turkish
      • Home Country:
      • Turkey
      • Current Location:
      • Turkey

    • Join Date: Aug 2009
    • Posts: 1,314
    #5

    Re: "very you"?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    When we say "It's very you", it's usually when someone has said, done or worn something that suits them very well or which reflects their personality very well. The "you" is used to replace a phrase like "suitable for you".

    Do you like my dress?
    Yes, it's very you!

    Last night, I said "Amazing" at least 20 times.
    Well, I'm not surprised. That's very you, after all!

    With the sentence you gave, it could be reworded "It's very you, choosing to do that!"
    So, would it be true then, if I say "very you" is a short form of "very typical of you" ?

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • Russian Federation

    • Join Date: Mar 2010
    • Posts: 29
    #6

    Re: "very you"?

    Thanks, BobK! I think I can spot two more mistakes in that sentence.
    1. Wrong tense: was....has chosen
    2. It was you who has (you - > have).

  4. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #7

    Re: "very you"?

    When I said '"very" does work in the third person' I was perhaps over-complicating - I should have said '"very" works sometimes', and left it to context. At the risk of meta-over-complicating () I could invent a 'pseudo-third-person': '[You're] the very person [I was looking for].'

    b

  5. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #8

    Re: "very you"?

    Quote Originally Posted by euncu View Post
    So, would it be true then, if I say "very you" is a short form of "very typical of you" ?
    Yes, that's pretty much what it means. Either "very typical of you" or "it suits you a lot".

  6. MASM's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Spanish
      • Home Country:
      • Spain
      • Current Location:
      • Spain

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 292
    #9

    Re: "very you"?

    It's like the so-called "Friends' so", because of the TV series. Am I right?

    "This is so Monica"

  7. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #10

    Re: "very you"?

    Quote Originally Posted by MASM View Post
    It's like the so-called "Friends' so", because of the TV series. Am I right?

    "This is so Monica"
    Yes, if someone does something that is typical of/very suitable for themselves or someone else, then you can say

    "That's SO Simon!"
    "That's very Simon!"
    "That's SO you!"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [Vocabulary] How do you pronounce "Cotton", "Button", "Britain", "Manhattan"...
    By Williamyh in forum Pronunciation and Phonetics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-Dec-2009, 09:36
  2. "hundreds", "fives", "ones", "Tens", "20s"
    By IMPSX-UE in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-Mar-2009, 19:54
  3. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-Sep-2008, 08:27
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 22-Nov-2007, 12:26
  5. confusing words "expressed" or "express" and "named" or"names"
    By Dawood Usmani in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-Oct-2007, 19:33

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •