Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
We can say "It was the very man who had helped us before" and even "It was very you" (meaning that something captured or showed the very essence of your personality), right?
Now, I have my doubts about the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do that".
What do you think about it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We can say "It was the very man who had helped us before" and even "It was very you" (meaning that something captured or showed the very essence of your personality), right?
Now, I have my doubts about the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do that".
What do you think about it?

When we say "It's very you", it's usually when someone has said, done or worn something that suits them very well or which reflects their personality very well. The "you" is used to replace a phrase like "suitable for you".

Do you like my dress?
Yes, it's very you!

Last night, I said "Amazing" at least 20 times.
Well, I'm not surprised. That's very you, after all!

With the sentence you gave, it could be reworded "It's very you, choosing to do that!"

HighPriest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Yes, I have no problem with that usage.
Would you say that "very" is wrong in the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do it" if it is supposed to mean simple "It was you who chose to do it"?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I have no problem with that usage.
Would you say that "very" is wrong in the sentence "It was very you who has chosen to do it" if it is supposed to mean simple "It was you who chose to do it"?
Yes - it's wrong. Instead, you could emphasize the 'you' by saying 'You were the one who was chosen to do it' or (rather more formal) 'It was indeed you who...'. Or, colloquially, 'It had to be you... ['that got the cushy job' - for example]'.

But 'very' does work in the third person: 'It was the very [same] man I had seen earlier'. You can say either 'very man' (perhaps rather old-fashioned), or 'very same'; if you just said 'same' you could go on to say 'I'd seen earlier', but to my ear it would be more likely to have some extra syntactical 'underpinning' - 'it was the same man as the one I'd seen earlier', for example. Some people - and this really does sound archaic to me - use the word 'selfsame'.

b

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
When we say "It's very you", it's usually when someone has said, done or worn something that suits them very well or which reflects their personality very well. The "you" is used to replace a phrase like "suitable for you".

Do you like my dress?
Yes, it's very you!

Last night, I said "Amazing" at least 20 times.
Well, I'm not surprised. That's very you, after all!

With the sentence you gave, it could be reworded "It's very you, choosing to do that!"

So, would it be true then, if I say "very you" is a short form of "very typical of you" ?

HighPriest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Thanks, BobK! I think I can spot two more mistakes in that sentence.
1. Wrong tense: was....has chosen
2. It was you who has (you - > have).

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
:up: When I said '"very" does work in the third person' I was perhaps over-complicating - I should have said '"very" works sometimes', and left it to context. At the risk of meta-over-complicating (;-)) I could invent a 'pseudo-third-person': '[You're] the very person [I was looking for].'

b

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So, would it be true then, if I say "very you" is a short form of "very typical of you" ?

Yes, that's pretty much what it means. Either "very typical of you" or "it suits you a lot".

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
It's like the so-called "Friends' so", because of the TV series. Am I right?

"This is so Monica"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"This is so Monica"

Yes, if someone does something that is typical of/very suitable for themselves or someone else, then you can say

"That's SO Simon!"
"That's very Simon!"
"That's SO you!"

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

"This is so Monica"

If people call it that, I'm sure that's what they mean. But I've no idea why they should name it after any TV program when the usage dates from well before the invention of TV itself.

b

MASM

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Spain
Current Location
Spain
If people call it that, I'm sure that's what they mean. But I've no idea why they should name it after any TV program when the usage dates from well before the invention of TV itself.

b

I don't know.. I just have heard it like that many times. Although, thank you for your always helpful comments:-D.

Status
Not open for further replies.