Results 1 to 4 of 4
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #1

    46.cultures whose

    Many people would find it disgustin to eat rats, but there are forty -two different cultures whose peole regard rats as appropriate food."My question is why is whose used? Can we use where?Thanks!

  1. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #2

    Re: 46.cultures whose

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Many people would find it disgustin to eat rats, but there are forty -two different cultures whose peole regard rats as appropriate food."My question is why is whose used? Can we use where?Thanks!
    "...42 different cultures, whose people..." the people belonging to those cultures.
    You could say: "...42 different countries, where people..."

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #3

    Re: 46.cultures whose

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    "...42 different cultures, whose people..." the people belonging to those cultures.
    You could say: "...42 different countries, where people..."
    Then what's the meaning of cultures here? Does it mean a group of people? Thanks!

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,624
    #4

    Re: 46.cultures whose

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    Then what's the meaning of cultures here? Does it mean a group of people? Thanks!
    Have a look at this link:
    Definition of culture noun (WAY OF LIFE) from Cambridge Dictionary Online: Free English Dictionary and Thesaurus

Similar Threads

  1. most cultures/races
    By angliholic in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 15-Dec-2007, 02:14
  2. there might be diff between two cultures
    By gxiang in forum English Idioms and Sayings
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-Mar-2006, 07:39

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •