Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi
What is the meaning of the following term?

Big in japan

I have come across this term in a lot of texts but I dont know the meaning.

Thanks.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Nathan, please provide contexts when you post a phrase.

It could be literal: I'm only 5'4" but that could be considered big in Japan where women aren't as tall.

It could be figurative: I hear that break dancing is big in Japan right now (popular).

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Big in japan

It was a famous song by Alphaville in 80's, but I don't know what the phrase originally means. Maybe you should google for its lyrics and you may find the answer in its context.

Nathan Mckane

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Big in Japan July 5-11: Wii Party, White Knight Chronicles 2
Nintendo's latest minigame collection tops the charts in debut week, with Level Five's action RPG close behind; Crackdown 2 debuts in seventh place.

It's too early to tell if Nintendo's Wii Party is the latest in a long line of evergreen hits for the company, but the minigame collection is certainly a quick bloomer. According to Media Create's Japanese sales charts, Wii Party was the best-selling game in the country for the week of July 5-11, selling nearly 235,000 copies.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
So, maybe I'll be able to give an example (taking the previously given link into accont);

I believe that Konami's last console game will definitely be big in Japan, but only the time will show if it will be big or small in other countries.

Status
Not open for further replies.