• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

cote du rhone

A husband wanted to surprise his wife by buying here a nice bottle of wine. He goes to the store and he knows his wife like "cotes du rhone" but he wanted to get her somthing new this time. The man in the store says to him:

"COTES DU RHONES ARE PREDOMINATELY THE GRENACHE GRAPE.

SO FROM FRANCE, WE HAVE A GIGONDAS, WHICH IS FROM THE COTES du RHONE, BUT IT'S A SINGLE-VILLAGE TOWN, WHICH IS A FAR HIGHER-QUALITY WINE."

Now I got that "cotes du rhones" is the name of a rigion and a name of the wine. but I can't get what he means by "it's a single village town which is far higher quality"!!!

(this is totally weird as if for example if it's from a two-village town it would be less quality! I can't get that at all)

Thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: cote du rhone

Quote Originally Posted by maiabulela View Post
    A husband wanted to surprise his wife by buying here a nice bottle of wine. He goes to the store and he knows his wife like "cotes du rhone" but he wanted to get her somthing new this time. The man in the store says to him:

SO FROM FRANCE, WE HAVE A GIGONDAS, WHICH IS FROM THE COTES du RHONE, BUT IT'S A SINGLE-VILLAGE TOWN, WHICH IS A FAR HIGHER-QUALITY WINE."

Now I got that "cotes du rhones" is the name of a rigion and a name of the wine. but I can't get what he means by "it's a single village town which is far higher quality"!!!

(this is totally weird as if for example if it's from a two-village town it would be less quality! I can't get that at all)

Thanks.
    I'm sure there will be someone who knows more about wine, but my only guess is that perhaps if they know for sure that all the grapes come from that one single village, maybe that makes it a higher quality wine. If a wine is made from a mixture of grapes from different vineyards even if they're from different villages within the same small region, perhaps that makes it lower quality.

But I'm guessing!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

Thanks.
    Where did you find this text?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

BareFoot Contessa cookin program!!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

BareFoot Contessa cookin program!!
    I'm not familiar with the programme. I find "single-village town" very strange, I thought perhaps it should be "vintage" rather than "village" but even then it wouldn't make much sense.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Quote Originally Posted by bhaisahab View Post
    I'm not familiar with the programme. I find "single-village town" very strange, I thought perhaps it should be "vintage" rather than "village" but even then it wouldn't make much sense.
    It is a rather odd quote. I also don't see how something can be a "single village town". A place is either a village or it's a town! I agree that "single vintage" would at least make sense when talking about wine, but "single vintage town"?

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If a wine is made from a mixture of grapes from different vineyards even if they're from different villages within the same small region, perhaps that makes it lower quality.

But I'm guessing!

Your guess is spot-on, ems (can I call you ems for short?).

I can't think of anything that sounds like town, but a single-village growth would make perfect sense.

Wines produced from a named village - or even a single vineyard - are usually superior to those bearing the regional appellation.

For example, Fleurie, from the village of that name, is a classy example of Beaujolais.

What happens is that individual vintners, in years when their own wine is of insufficient quantity or quality to be bottled and sold under its own label, send their wine to the local co-operative to be blended with that of other growers and sold under the regional name.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

I really don't understand anything! I appreciate u efforts, though.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Arabic
      • Home Country:
      • Egypt
      • Current Location:
      • Egypt

emsr2d2 understood but i haven't yet!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

I really don't understand anything! I appreciate u efforts, though.
    It's simple. It's not proper English. No one else understands it either.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast