Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 126
    #1

    be devoted to do or doing?

    I know you can say:

    I am committed to do something or to doing something.

    Does the verb devote have the same leeway?

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #2

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jiamajia View Post
    I know you can say:

    I am committed to do something or to doing something.

    Does the verb devote have the same leeway?
    I am committed to doing something.
    I am committed to learning English.
    I am committed to playing tennis every week.

    We don't normally use "doing" after "devote".

    I'm devoted to my husband.
    I'm devoted to my dog.

    However, we might use verb+ing after it:

    I'm devoted to acting.

    Remember, you can also "devote time" to something.

    I'm going to devote five hours a week to learning Spanish.


    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 126
    #3

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I am committed to doing something.
    I am committed to learning English.
    I am committed to playing tennis every week.

    We don't normally use "doing" after "devote".

    I'm devoted to my husband.
    I'm devoted to my dog.

    However, we might use verb+ing after it:

    I'm devoted to acting.

    Remember, you can also "devote time" to something.

    I'm going to devote five hours a week to learning Spanish.
    The following is an ad promoting a school for training English teachers:

    ATTI is fuelled by its passion to inspire others to teach, travel, share and learn. Through its certification program, ATTI is devoted to help people learn the skills of language teaching and to achieve their goals of teaching and traveling.

    ------------------------
    It uses is devoted to help.... . Does it sound ok to you?

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,829
    #4

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jiamajia View Post
    The following is an ad promoting a school for training English teachers:

    ATTI is fuelled by its passion to inspire others to teach, travel, share and learn. Through its certification program, ATTI is devoted to help people learn the skills of language teaching and to achieve their goals of teaching and traveling.

    ------------------------
    It uses is devoted to help.... . Does it sound ok to you?
    No. ATTI is devoted to helping people learn....

  3. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #5

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    No, that should be devoted to helping.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

  4. kfredson's Avatar

    • Join Date: Dec 2009
    • Posts: 700
    #6

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by jiamajia View Post
    The following is an ad promoting a school for training English teachers:

    ATTI is fuelled by its passion to inspire others to teach, travel, share and learn. Through its certification program, ATTI is devoted to help people learn the skills of language teaching and to achieve their goals of teaching and traveling.

    ------------------------
    It uses is devoted to help.... . Does it sound ok to you?
    Yes, they are devoted to helping. And, furthermore, the "to" should be removed before "achieve." They are devoted to helping people learn and to achieve.

    So how much of a shadow does this place over their ability to train teachers? Not a great deal, I would say. I'm sure there are dynamic, skillful language teachers who nevertheless allow the odd grammatical error to sneak in. And I'm sure that there are grammar scholars who make terrible language teachers.


    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 126
    #7

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by kfredson View Post
    Yes, they are devoted to helping. And, furthermore, the "to" should be removed before "achieve." They are devoted to helping people learn and to achieve.

    So how much of a shadow does this place over their ability to train teachers? Not a great deal, I would say. I'm sure there are dynamic, skillful language teachers who nevertheless allow the odd grammatical error to sneak in. And I'm sure that there are grammar scholars who make terrible language teachers.
    It is more like a business, I think.

    The original website is here:
    atti tesol


    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 126
    #8

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    By the way, how about be committed to do something?

    My friend emsr2d2 seems to be not approving of the usage.

    Any other opinions, please? Thank you all.

  5. Barb_D's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Mar 2007
    • Posts: 19,218
    #9

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    I agree. Committed to doing something, not "to do."
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.


    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 126
    #10

    Re: be devoted to do or doing?

    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_D View Post
    I agree. Committed to doing something, not "to do."

    I feel a bit puzzled, for I have found this line on NY Times site, which reads:
    (4th paragraph)
    ''In the past there have been walls of divide between Mexico and the United States,'' Mr. Bush said to a crowd of a few thousand people, mostly Mexicans. ''We must, we must be committed to raise the bridges of trade and friendship and freedom.''

    Although it is a quote from President Bush, it seems the NY Times has taken it as an acceptable usage.

    http://www.nytimes.com/2000/04/25/us...to-mexico.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. [General] adoring vs. devoted
    By thedaffodils in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-Jul-2008, 18:41
  2. article devoted/is devoted ???
    By Sandersru in forum Editing & Writing Topics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-May-2008, 09:56
  3. committed, devoted & applied
    By Jandi in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Oct-2004, 11:21

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •