Ms

I would like some advice from people who have taught in Shanghai. What sort of pay should I expect and what are the pitfalls. I am registered to get a job thru EF in Manchester, does anyone know if they're any good? Help. this will be my first job.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Re: Ms

Here's a checklist site for schools in China: http://www.buxiban.com/

Talking Re: Ms

tdol,
    I don't quite know how to say this without bursting into floods of (joyful) tears - YOU TOTALLY ROCK!!! Do excuse my enthusiasm but the Buxiban website you gave blossom is really awesome and exactly what I have been looking for!
    Thank you :::::::o)

to tdol

thanks very much for your prompt reply - it is the sort of thing I've been looking for - the internet is chaotic sometimes so I'm grateful you've saved me all that time and stress. I hope this reaches you because I don't really have much of a clue about how this website works

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Glad to be of help.

Hi tdol

While I've got you, do you have any idea what is reasonable pay for a fully university trained, but novice, teacher in Shanghai. do you have any idea? I don't.

sorry tdol, buxiban covers the money side

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

OK. I'm afraid I have no idea about money in China as I have never worked there. I have asked someone who does.
    Last edited by Tdol; 06-Jun-2005 at 06:32.

I'm up in the north (Dalian), so I'm not too familiar with Shanghai salaries. I'd say that 10k (RMB) a month should be a good point to base your decision(s) on. It all depends on what hours they expect of you, whether or not they include accomodation, whether or not you'd be expected to be present in the office all day etc...

Places like Shanghai and Beijing are obviously full of foreign teachers, which makes finding a well-paid job a bit harder. However, if you are well-qualified, you'd qualify for positions in the international schools, or private companies.

As for EF, I've heard a lot about them, mostly negative, I'm afraid. EF itself has no control over its schools in China; they are run privately, as they are a franchise. You'd be well advised to do a bit of research on places like Dave's ESL Cafe.

Good luck, and if you have any other questions about teaching in China, feel free to ask.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

Another information site: http://www.sourseed.com/china.asp