Results 1 to 5 of 5
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #1

    58.dare not

    "United, there is little we cannot do in a host of co-operative ventures. Divided, there is little we can do, for we dare not meet a powerful challenge at odds and slit asunder."
    What's the meaning of "dare not "here? Thanks a lot!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 2,993
    #2

    Re: 58.dare not

    Quote Originally Posted by notletrest View Post
    "United, there is little we cannot do in a host of co-operative ventures. Divided, there is little we can do, for we dare not meet a powerful challenge at odds and slit asunder."
    What's the meaning of "dare not "here? Thanks a lot!
    Dare means as follow

    As a verb
    1) To be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous, or to be rude or silly enough to do something that you have no right to do.

    2) To ask someone to do something which involves risk.

    As a noun
    3) Something you do because someone dares you to.

    The answer is the last choice.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #3

    Re: 58.dare not

    Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    Dare means as follow

    As a verb
    1) To be brave enough to do something difficult or dangerous, or to be rude or silly enough to do something that you have no right to do.

    2) To ask someone to do something which involves risk.

    As a noun
    3) Something you do because someone dares you to.

    The answer is the last choice.
    How can dare here be a noun?Thanks!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

    • Join Date: Nov 2002
    • Posts: 57,888
    #4

    Re: 58.dare not

    Like need, dare can behave like a modal verb, which is what it is doing here; it means don't dare.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

    • Join Date: May 2010
    • Posts: 551
    #5

    Re: 58.dare not

    Quote Originally Posted by Tdol View Post
    Like need, dare can behave like a modal verb, which is what it is doing here; it means don't dare.
    I see. thank you !

Similar Threads

  1. [Grammar] dare......
    By julia333 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 22-Jan-2010, 15:19
  2. Dare to try this?
    By udara sankalpa in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-Sep-2009, 06:48
  3. dare I say it, I dare say
    By uecom in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Sep-2009, 17:15
  4. I dare say
    By joham in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-Sep-2008, 06:15
  5. Dare
    By Veron1 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-Jul-2007, 09:11

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •