BBC Broadcasters have different word stress on the word of "Highlight"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
Hi Everybody,

I always ask the question about word stress, I seem to understand but still so confused. The following audio clips are from today's BBC News, there are two broadcasters, but I hear they had different word stress on the word of "Highlight", the male broadcaster said HIGHlight, the word stressed on the first syllable "High", but the female broadcaster said HIGHLIGHT, seems both syllables were stressed, many people say it would not be possible if two syllables are stressed. Please advise. Thanks.

BBC News Male Broadcaster - HIGHlight
Download Hightlight Male - MP3 Ringtone Hightlight Male by Hightlight Male - Free Music Hosting

BBC News Female Broadcaster - HIGHLIGHT
Download Female Highlight - MP3 Ringtone Female Highlight by Female Highlight - Free Music Hosting

W

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There's very little difference.

It's just a matter of personal preference.

Rover

Williamyh

Member Type
Other
There's very little difference.

It's just a matter of personal preference.

Rover

Thank you. But do you think the female broadcaster stressed on both syllables HIGHLIGHT? I just want to know if both of syllables are stressed, would it be incorrect in terms of pronunciation? Please advise.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
No. Both pronunciations are equally correct.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
many people say it would not be possible if two syllables are stressed.

I don't think that's true. They are many two-syllable words in English that have equal stress on the syllables; and many words in which the first or both are stressed.
Twilight highlight: Dog fight.

The only wrong pronunciation would be a stress on the second half: 'Twilight highlight: dog fight'.

Williamyh

Member Type
Other

I don't think that's true. They are many two-syllable words in English that have equal stress on the syllables; and many words in which the first or both are stressed.
Twilight highlight: Dog fight.

The only wrong pronunciation would be a stress on the second half: 'Twilight highlight: dog fight'.

Thank you Raymott. But I still want to understand more, as you said "many two-syllable words in English that have equal stress on the syllables; and many words in which the first or both are stressed.", if so I want to consult you how I can learn this, I have many dictionaries on my hand but they never mention this, just indicate the first stress and second stress, could you please suggest me the way to learn this? Thanks a lot

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you Raymott. But I still want to understand more, as you said "many two-syllable words in English that have equal stress on the syllables; and many words in which the first or both are stressed.", if so I want to consult you how I can learn this, I have many dictionaries on my hand but they never mention this, just indicate the first stress and second stress, could you please suggest me the way to learn this? Thanks a lot
Certainly. The best way to learn this is simply to listen to native English speakers.

Mohammed A

Member Type
Student or Learner
hi there

I think the wrong is in pronunciation of broadcaster .

Mohammed A

Status
Not open for further replies.