1. Newbie
    Student or Learner

Question About Bill Clinton's Speech

In his new speech at the 18th International AIDS Conference, I don't understand a few sentences.
    1,"This is not the end... It is only the end of the beginning. In other word, we ramped up. You've done great job. But we have to transition now from what has essentially been a make-it-up-as-you-go-along emergency response to one that we can sustain "
    2, "The fight against AIDS has raised a lot of boats - to fight tuberculosis and malaria..."
    3, "I do not it is either fair or accurate to say the President has gone back on his promises, as if this was a callous walking away..."
    I don't understand the underline parts of each sentences, please help me, thanks.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: About Bill Clinton's Speech

Quote Originally Posted by dzpqkl View Post
    In his new speech at the 18th International AIDS Conference, I don't understand a few sentences.
    1,"This is not the end... It is only the end of the beginning. In other word, we ramped up. You've done great job. But we have to transition now from what has essentially been a make-it-up-as-you-go-along emergency response to one that we can sustain "
    2, "The fight against AIDS has raised a lot of boats - to fight tuberculosis and malaria..."
    3, "I do not it is either fair or accurate to say the President has gone back on his promises, as if this was a callous walking away..."
    I don't understand the underline parts of each sentences, please help me, thanks.
    Are you sure the word in number 2 was "boats"?!

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

I suspect it's from the expression that a rising tide lifts all boats. What has benefited one thing has brought benefits to others. Research to address AIDS has benefited the fight against other diseases.
    I'm not a teacher, but I write for a living. Please don't ask me about 2nd conditionals, but I'm a safe bet for what reads well in (American) English.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • American English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Not a teacher.

That's it. John Kennedy said it. "A rising tide lifts all boats." Meaning originally, that if business is good, everyone benefits.

"Ramped up" means that you progressively increased something. The opposite would be "jumped up" if a large change happened all at once. When something gradually is increased it is ramped up.

"Make-it-up-as-you-go-along" means that there was no plan, no preparation. Something happened and people had to respond moment-by-moment.

"Callous walking away" means that someone did not care about a situation and just left. Walking away from someone who needs help is "callous."