evidence/s uncountable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buno

Member Type
Student or Learner
Hi Everyone,

Could you help me with this:

[FONT=&quot]I have two different groups of marks on an object (scores and chips). The fact that they are placed in the same area of the object itself, "makes fairly probable a relation between the two evidences" (that means that scores and chips may be related to an action which caused them at the same time)

I wrote EVIDENCE, because I though that the word "evidence" was uncountable, but windows corrected me with EVIDENCES.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance,

Buno :shock:
[/FONT]

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hi Everyone,

Could you help me with this:

[FONT=&quot]I have two different groups of marks on an object (scores and chips). The fact that they are placed in the same area of the object itself, "makes fairly probable a relation between the two evidences" (that means that scores and chips may be related to an action which caused them at the same time)

I wrote EVIDENCE, because I though that the word "evidence" was uncountable, but windows corrected me with EVIDENCES.

Any advice?

Thank you in advance,

Buno :shock:
[/FONT]

Generally, spell checkers make LOTS of mistakes!!! Most of them aren't set up to know the difference between countable and uncountable nouns. As soon as your spell checker saw "two", it will have assumed you needed to follow it with a plural.

"Evidence" is uncountable - you might refer to "pieces of evidence" or similar but normally we just use "evidence" on its own.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
As emsr2d2 says, grammar and spellchecks are not perfect. Some people do use it as a plural nowadays- many nouns regarded as uncountable are appearing in the plural, though two evidences doesn't sound good to me. If it was the grammar check, it could have thought that evidence was a verb.

Status
Not open for further replies.