Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #1

    Whose is it?

    Hello my friends,
    I'm back
    (I was on vacation for 2 weeks.)

    I have plenty of new questions.
    (Of course everything will be in an extra thread )

    When we don't know the word of an object, can we simply ask:
    Whose is it?
    Whose is this?


    Let's say it's a "watering can", but you just don't know its name.
    Does whose need an object?
    Whose X is it?
    Whose X is this?


    I mean you could also say:
    Whose thing is it?
    Whose object is it?
    (Of course it's not good English, but I don't know if you can let it out.)

    Cheers!

  2. bhaisahab's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • Ireland

    • Join Date: Apr 2008
    • Posts: 25,615
    #2

    Re: Whose is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello my friends,
    I'm back
    (I was on vacation for 2 weeks.)

    I have plenty of new questions.
    (Of course everything will be in an extra thread )

    When we don't know the word of an object, can we simply ask:
    Whose is it?
    Whose is this?


    Let's say it's a "watering can", but you just don't know its name.
    Does whose need an object?
    Whose X is it?
    Whose X is this?


    I mean you could also say:
    Whose thing is it?
    Whose object is it?
    (Of course it's not good English, but I don't know if you can let it out.)

    Cheers!
    Hi Nightmare, welcome back.
    If the the thing is in front of you, you can say simply "whose is this?". Of course if you are talking about something outside/out of view, a car perhaps, you would need to specify what it is you are talking about.
    "Whose car is that out on the drive?"

  3. BobK's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2006
    • Posts: 16,038
    #3

    Re: Whose is it?

    'Whose' can be either a possessive adjective ('whose car') or a possessive pronoun ('Whose is this?) Similarly you could ask 'Which one/car... is yours?' Or 'Which is yours?' Neither is more or less grammatical than the other; they're both fine.

    b

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Polish
      • Home Country:
      • Poland
      • Current Location:
      • Poland

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 5,098
    #4

    Re: Whose is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post

    ]I mean you could also say:
    Whose thing is it?
    Whose object is it?
    (Of course it's not good English, but I don't know if you can let it out.)
    Hi Nightmare!
    Why do you say it's bad English? I don't get it...

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #5

    Re: Whose is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare85 View Post
    Hello my friends,
    I'm back
    (I was on vacation for 2 weeks.)

    I have plenty of new questions.
    (Of course everything will be in an extra thread )

    When we don't know the word of an object, can we simply ask:
    Whose is it?
    Whose is this?


    Let's say it's a "watering can", but you just don't know its name.
    Does whose need an object?
    Whose X is it?
    Whose X is this?


    I mean you could also say:
    Whose thing is it?
    Whose object is it?
    (Of course it's not good English, but I don't know if you can let it out.)

    Cheers!
    Regarding to the sentence in red, I suppose you meant "When we don't know the OWNER of an object", am I right?

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,832
    #6

    Re: Whose is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by hanky View Post
    Regarding to the sentence in red, I suppose you meant "When we don't know the OWNER of an object", am I right?
    I thought the original poster did actually mean what they said "When you don't know the name of an object..."

    If you don't know what something is called, you can't say, for example, "Whose car is this?" if you don't know the word "car"! So I think they were asking if you can simply say "Whose is it/this?" while perhaps pointing at the object you don't know the word for.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Vietnamese
      • Home Country:
      • Vietnam
      • Current Location:
      • Vietnam

    • Join Date: Oct 2008
    • Posts: 3,110
    #7

    Re: Whose is it?

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I thought the original poster did actually mean what they said "When you don't know the name of an object..."

    If you don't know what something is called, you can't say, for example, "Whose car is this?" if you don't know the word "car"! So I think they were asking if you can simply say "Whose is it/this?" while perhaps pointing at the object you don't know the word for.
    Oh, I see. Thanks.

  5. Nightmare85's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • German
      • Home Country:
      • Germany
      • Current Location:
      • Germany

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 1,333
    #8

    Re: Whose is it?

    Thank you for your replies

    Quote Originally Posted by birdeen's call View Post
    Hi Nightmare!
    Why do you say it's bad English? I don't get it...
    Hi birdeen's call,
    I made a small mistake.
    Of course it's not bad English, it just sounds a bit stupid.
    "Whose thing is this?"
    (Maybe it's okay for a child to say such a sentence, but for us it could be "unpractical" )

    @hanky:
    Yes, emsr2d2 is right.

    Cheers!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •