Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Hello guys,
When I played games like table tennis, soccer, etc I heard such expressions:
1:0 -> One-Null. [nal]
1:1 -> One off/all/both.

Is it common not to use "zero" in games?
And when both players/teams have the same score, do you say "off" or "of"?

Cheers!

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
I have only heard "nil". And when the scores are equal, it is a draw. ( I have heard "tie" less,
but I guess it could be used instead of "draw".)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It depends on the sport.

In tennis, zero is called "love".
In soccer, zero is called "nil".
In baseball (and I think a lot of American sports), zero is called "zero"!

In soccer, if the score is 0-0, then we say "Nil-nil". However, if the score is 1-1, 2-2 etc, then we say "1 all", "2 all" etc.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
We also say "oh."

We won, four-oh.

It was a heart breaker. In the last inning, they pulled ahead one-oh.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
We also say "oh."

We won, four-oh.

It was a heart breaker. In the last inning, they pulled ahead one-oh.

Ah yes, I thought there was an AmE one I was missing! Thanks.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

You're an English, so why do you call it soccer?

I, for one, have never heard of an organization called UESA. The same is true for FIFA (its acronym is in French but the word "football" is in English), there is no such thing as FISA, if there is, it's not about football.(I'll check later for that). So all around the world except the USA (if there are any exceptions, I'll be glad to hear), the name of the game is football. It is obviously more practical for Americans to say football for short instead of saying American football every time (but they may say "our" football instead :)) but it doesn't change anything, the name of the game is football not soccer. Yes, I can't deny that when it comes to football, feelings are more dominant than being rational but this is the very point of the game. I wrote all these things because every time I hear that word "soccer", it irritates me. I hope our American members will not be annoyed by what I said, I just had to get it off my chest and emsr2d2 gave me an opportunity to do that.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The very reason that I called it soccer is specifically because there are a lot of AmE speakers here, and if I'd put "football" and then said that it uses the word "nil", I may have got some AmE speakers telling me I was wrong. To them "football" is what I call "American football" and honestly, I couldn't be bothered to type "American football" in either!!!!!

Having said that, I don't have a problem with the word "soccer". I believe that it was originally coined to differentiate it from "rugby football" which is, of course, now known simply as "rugby".

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
It depends on the sport.

In tennis, zero is called "love".
In baseball (and I think a lot of American sports), zero is called "zero"!

In soccer, if the score is 0-0, then we say "Nil-nil". However, if the score is 1-1, 2-2 etc, then we say "1 all", "2 all" etc.
Actually, we don't use "zero" very often; we're more likely to say "nothing" or, as Barb said, "oh."
"We won the game five-nothing/five to nothing."
"We won the game five-oh/five and oh."
We also occasionally use the word "zip."
"We won the game five-zip."
They all mean the same, and while "zero" is not commonly said, it is universally understood.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Thank you very much, guys.

Do you know anything about the "of"/"off"?
One off.
One of.

:?:

I would like to know the correct version although there are also other possibilities :)

Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thank you very much, guys.

Do you know anything about the "of"/"off"?
One off.
One of.
:?:

I would like to know the correct version although there are also other possibilities :)

Cheers!

I've never heard this used in sports scores at all. Can you remember what sport you heard it in?

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I've never heard this used in sports scores at all. Can you remember what sport you heard it in?

I heard it on table tennis - said by many players.

Cheers!

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I heard it on table tennis - said by many players.

Cheers!

Interesting. I have no idea! I've just Googled "scoring in table tennis" and looked at about six websites including what I think was the official table tennis rules website. None of them mention this phrase at all in the scoring system. Two of them specifically showed "one-all", "two-all" etc.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

I, for one, have never heard of an organization called UESA. The same is true for FIFA (its acronym is in French but the word "football" is in English), there is no such thing as FISA, if there is, it's not about football.(I'll check later for that). So all around the world except the USA (if there are any exceptions, I'll be glad to hear), the name of the game is football. It is obviously more practical for Americans to say football for short instead of saying American football every time (but they may say "our" football instead :)) but it doesn't change anything, the name of the game is football not soccer. Yes, I can't deny that when it comes to football, feelings are more dominant than being rational but this is the very point of the game. I wrote all these things because every time I hear that word "soccer", it irritates me. I hope our American members will not be annoyed by what I said, I just had to get it off my chest and emsr2d2 gave me an opportunity to do that.

The word soccer comes from "Association Football," which was what it used to be called in England, where, apparently, the upper-class referred to it as "assoccer" for "association." Even if the "assoccer" part isn't true, it was to differentiate Association Football from Rugby Football.

It's also called soccer in parts of the Caribbean, apparently.

I didn't know this at all until I read these articles:
Most countries think of the World Cup as a football tournament. Why do we call the game soccer? - By Brian Phillips - Slate Magazine and
Why Do Americans Call It Soccer?

I also found this part interesting:
Fútbol does not literally mean “football” in Spanish. Nor does Futebol translate into “football” in Brazilian Portuguese. The words “fut or fute” do not mean “foot” in either language.Italy has its own unique term for the game, where it is known as “calcio,” not football. The word translates to “kickball.”

I loved the part in the story about how the one person withdrew when they wouldn't allow hacking at the shins or carrying the ball, and hence rugby football was formed instead.

philadelphia

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
French
Home Country
France
Current Location
France

I do not see any problem with the word "soccer".

"Association football" is long to say, so people abbreviated the word "association" to "assoc", which created the slang word "soccer".

History is part of this change. See below
In 1863 a football association was formed and met in London where they set out rules including the prohibition on handling the ball. The outraged ball handling players formed their own Rugby Football Union.
Time passed and both groups continued to call their game football but distinguished as to whether they were playing by association rules or Rugby rules. A playful way of saying that one was playing Rugby football was to call it rugger. The story goes that one student was asked if he liked to play rugger and he replied no, but instead of trolling out the many syllables involved in “association football” he just abbreviated it to sound like rugger, dropping the leading A and the trailing SHUN and adding the ER so that “soccer” is in fact an abbreviation of “association.”

So, association football is commonly known as football or soccer- both are correct.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
By the way, it is "futbol" in Turkish.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And is "fut" the word for "foot" or was it just the closest sounding word? (This type of stuff fascinates me.)

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Foot (E) = Ayak (T)
Ball (E) = Top (T)

If we were to translate the word "football" into Turkish verbatim, it would be "ayaktopu". (In fact, TDK [Turkish Language Institute] has suggested that it should be "ayaktopu" not "futbol", but I don't think that even any member of the institute uses something like "ayaktopu")

And is "fut" the word for "foot" or was it just the closest sounding word? (This type of stuff fascinates me.)

The latter is true. But we utter "u" and "o" short.

Status
Not open for further replies.