Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

We've all happened to have a bit of work in an office or organization for which we've got to be really patient, as it takes lots of time and energy (which could result from a bureaucracy, poor management, etc.). But, if you know a person or friend there, then bob's your uncle! I mean, they can, illegally, help you get what you want. I suppose "contact" is a name for such people. What's the "verb" we can use for what they do? Any informal term for such people? Thanks in advance.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi there,

We've all happened to have a bit of work in an office or organization for which we've got to be really patient, as it takes lots of time and energy (which could result from a bureaucracy, poor management, etc.). But, if you know a person or friend there, then bob's your uncle! I mean, they can, illegally, help you get what you want. I suppose "contact" is a name for such people. What's the "verb" we can use for what they do? Any informal term for such people? Thanks in advance.
Do whatever it takes
Cut through the red tape

Neither of these terms implies illegality though.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
And, is the term "favouritism" related in any terms? Ta!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Do whatever it takes
Cut through the red tape
Neither of these terms implies illegality though.

Many thanks dear Raymott...How come they're not considered as illegal then? When this obviously violates others' rights, doesn't it carry any negative connotation? Thanks.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Many thanks dear Raymott...How come they're not considered as illegal then? When this obviously violates others' rights, doesn't it carry any negative connotation? Thanks.
Cutting through red tape only violates the right of bureaucrats to impose unnecessary restrictions.
And no, "favouritism" is not related to your question.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Depending on what the person does to help you, it's not necessarily illegal anyway. It might be unethical or immoral, but helping a friend get something done faster probably isn't illegal in a lot of companies/departments.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Depending on what the person does to help you, it's not necessarily illegal anyway. It might be unethical or immoral, but helping a friend get something done faster probably isn't illegal in a lot of companies/departments.

Thanks again. Maybe I put it in a wrong way. Imagine there's a job vacancy in a company where a friend of yours is in a high position. There are other applicants, but in the end job's yours cos he used their power to put others aside. Is this person called "contact"? And, any informal term or idiom for what they've done?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks again. Maybe I put it in a wrong way. Imagine there's a job vacancy in a company where a friend of yours is in a high position. There are other applicants, but in the end job's yours cos he used their power to put others aside. Is this person called "contact"? And, any informal term or idiom for what they've done?

Anyone you know personally in a company can be called a "contact". I'm not sure that we have a single word for someone who actually circumvents normal procedures to unethically arrange for their friends to get a job!

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Cutting through red tape only violates the right of bureaucrats to impose unnecessary restrictions.
And no, "favouritism" is not related to your question.

I'd like to make an apology here! :oops: Maybe I was looking for "favouritism"...take a manager who offers the high positions to close friends and relatives, then what's the right words for what he does?....Thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'd like to make an apology here! :oops: Maybe I was looking for "favouritism"...take a manager who offers the high positions to close friends and relatives, then what's the right words for what he does?....Thanks.

Well, he would certainly be guilty of "favouritism". If he actually arranges for a family member to get a job, then he's guilty of "nepotism". (Note, I found a couple of websites which say that nepotism refers to both relatives and close friends, but I have only heard it used when talking about relatives.)

Status
Not open for further replies.