Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

Rebecca was seventeen when she came to Chiswick, and was bound over as an articled pupil; her duties being to talk French, as we have seen; and her privileges to live cost free, and, with a few guineas a year, to gather scraps of knowledge from the professors who attended the school.

and was bound over as an articled pupil = and was eligible as a pupil on special terms

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Editors4Writers

Member Type
English Teacher
Try this:

Rebbecca was seventeen when she came to Chiswick as an articled pupil.

However, if you'd like to emphasize her status as an articled student going to Chiswick:

When Rebbecca was seventeen, she was brought over as an articled pupil to Chiswick.

The rest of your paragraph is difficult to decipher. We could work together to make it comprehensible.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Hi Editors4Writer,

Thank you for your interpretation of the expression in question. It stands out a mile.

In my humble opinion was eligible is very close to take in, admit, because as far as I know eligible = acceptable, appropriate, desirable. My version is not a drab literal translation of the written, but a free intriguing interpretation, laying particular stress on the meaning of articled pupil.

Roughly speaking the rest of the paragraph in question offers no difficulty for me but I would glad to have your collaboration at every season of the ear.

Thank you again for your kindness.

V.

Status
Not open for further replies.