Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[FONT=&#23435]and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if,entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Please analyse the adverbial clause,Thanks a lot![/FONT]

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Your problem is presumably that you haven't met the archaic expression 'to entertain an opinion', which means 'to have/hold...'. Today, if you 'entertain an idea' you adopt it tentatively and in a non-commital way, but this sort of 'entertain' is more definite.

b

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
[FONT=&#23435]and, therefore, I hope it will not be thought disrespectful to those gentlemen if,entertaining as I do opinions of a character very opposite to theirs, I shall speak forth my sentiments freely and without reserve.[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Please analyse the adverbial clause,Thanks a lot![/FONT]

It is tempting to R-K this sentence. (But I feel lazy). "As I do..." and "entertaining...theirs" are parenthetical and not essential to the structure of the sentence. I believe that such clauses and phrases are called "absolute" and are simply diagrammed on the side.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
It is tempting to R-K this sentence. (But I feel lazy). "As I do..." and "entertaining...theirs" are parenthetical and not essential to the structure of the sentence. I believe that such clauses and phrases are called "absolute" and are simply diagrammed on the side.
I don't know the meaning of "R-K".Can I understand the "if...theirs" like this: if I am having [FONT=&#23435]opinions of a character which were very opposite to theirs,as I do?[/FONT]
[FONT=&#23435]Thanks! [/FONT]

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I don't know the meaning of "R-K".Can I understand the "if...theirs" like this: since I have [FONT=宋]opinions of a character [STRIKE]which [/STRIKE]violently/extremely/diammetrically opposed to theirs [STRIKE]as I do[/STRIKE][/FONT]
[FONT=宋]Thanks! [/FONT]

You have the right idea, but I've changed the words a bit. I gather that 'R-K' is a system that involves representing syntactic relations by diagrams - popular in the USA.

b

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"R-K" is this site's abbreviation for "Reed-Kellogg". Yes, it is an American system for diagramming syntax. Wikipedia explains it well. Unlike other systems, it only uses the diagram and the sentence -- no terms or abbreviations.

notletrest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your help!

vernongetzler

Member Type
Student or Learner
This is a wonderful post. The things given are unanimous and needs to be appreciated by everyone.
--------
vernon getzler

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
img21

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, I am trying to post a diagram of that sentence, but I am having trouble -- with the posting, not the diagram.

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Frank Antonson

Member Type
English Teacher