Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Hello everyone :)
Could you please help me understand the difference between vicinity and neighborhood?
When do you use each one of these two words?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards
Alex.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello everyone :)
Could you please help me understand the difference between vicinity and neighborhood?
When do you use each one of these two words?

I would like to thank you in advance for your help.
Best Regards
Alex.

Vicinity generally simply means somewhere nearby.

A neighbourhood can be a delineated area that might even have a name. There may be several recognised neighbourhoods within a town or city.

Example:

Is there a bank in the vicinity? Here, you would want to know if there is a bank near your current location, within a reasonably short distance. The answer might be "No, I'm afraid there's not" or "Yes, there's one just around the corner."

Is there a bank in this neighbourhood? Here, you are asking if there is a bank within a specific area of the town. The answer here would probably be "Yes, there are lots of them in the neighbourhood. Which bank do you need?"

dervast

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Greek
Home Country
Greece
Current Location
Germany
Thanks for the answer.. so for me they look quite the same as they can be used both to ask if there is a bank(something) close.

Vicinity generally simply means somewhere nearby.

A neighbourhood can be a delineated area that might even have a name. There may be several recognised neighbourhoods within a town or city.

Example:

Is there a bank in the vicinity? Here, you would want to know if there is a bank near your current location, within a reasonably short distance. The answer might be "No, I'm afraid there's not" or "Yes, there's one just around the corner."

Is there a bank in this neighbourhood? Here, you are asking if there is a bank within a specific area of the town. The answer here would probably be "Yes, there are lots of them in the neighbourhood. Which bank do you need?"

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks for the answer.. so for me they look quite the same as they can be used both to ask if there is a bank(something) close.

Well, as I said, they're similar but not quite the same. I would say that neighbourhood refers to a larger area.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

"Neighborhood" implies that you are somewhere near structures and other buildings and people.

You could be out in the middle of nowhere and still talk about what is in your vicinity.

Status
Not open for further replies.