• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • Hong Kong
      • Current Location:
      • Hong Kong

was, were

When I am introducing myself during a conversation. Which tense should I use for those words highlighted as follow?

I used to live in Thailand for 10 years. The environment was nice. The people were kind.
    (Since Thailand and those people still exist, shall I use 'present tense'. But those are my past, then should I use 'past tense? I always get confused in this sort of situation)

Tks / ju

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: was, were

Quote Originally Posted by Ju View Post
    When I am introducing myself during a conversation. Which tense should I use for those words highlighted as follow?

I used to live in Thailand for 10 years. The environment was nice. The people were kind.
    (Since Thailand and those people still exist, shall I use 'present tense'. But those are my past, then should I use 'past tense? I always get confused in this sort of situation)

Tks / ju
    If you no longer live there, then you can only really refer to how things were when you lived there - in the past. You are basically saying "When I lived in Thailand, the environment was nice and the people were kind". Both of those things may well still be true but you can only speak knowledgeably about how they were when you were there. The past tense is appropriate.

Note: we don't put "used to" with an actual timescale, usually.

I lived in Thailand for 10 years.
    I used to live in Thailand.
    Last edited by emsr2d2; 23-Jul-2010 at 15:40. Reason: Extra info