What is the rule for digraph CH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kympathy

Member Type
English Teacher
A student of mine asked me for the rule regarding the pronounciation of the digraph ch.

I have an MA in English, but I cannot for the life of me find an actual rule as to when the pronounciation of the digraph /ch/ should be ch (like which or cheese) or sh (like chef) or qu (like choir) or k (like chameleon).

Can anyone please tell me is there is a standard rule and exceptions, so I can answer this question for my student? Thanks!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It doesn't look like there is a rule, Kympathy.

I certainly don't know of one.

Rover

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
A student of mine asked me for the rule regarding the pronounciation of the digraph ch.

I have an MA in English, but I cannot for the life of me find an actual rule as to when the pronounciation of the digraph /ch/ should be ch (like which or cheese) or sh (like chef) or qu (like choir) or k (like chameleon).

Can anyone please tell me is there is a standard rule and exceptions, so I can answer this question for my student? Thanks!
It's particularly troublesome given that some such words have alternative pronunciations:
chi·rop·o·dy
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chiropody

Alex Case

Site Contributor
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
It's not a rule, but it generally depends on what language the word originally comes from, e.g. music words usually come from Italian and so take the Italian /k/ sound. Chef is about cuisine and so is obviously French, so takes the French pronunciation.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Maybe you should try to wean him off the habit of asking 'what is the rule?' (a question that implies there is one). As others have said, it's a question partly of etymology and partly of allowable variation; but even etymology (coming from one language) isn't totally reliable - what matters is where a word was borrowed from, when, and in what circumstances.

Don't tell this student about 'loch' ;-)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.