• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

nuptials

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the notion in bold in the following sentence is in common usage in your area or has an eccentric connotation?

“I’m good enough to borrow a plane from, but not good enough to be invited to the wedding?” complained one Clinton friend, who remembered the times he handed over his jet and his pilot to take Bill Clinton around the country but had not landed a coveted invitation to Chelsea Clinton’s nuptials.

nuptials = the social event at which the ceremony of marriage is performed

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: nuptials

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether the notion in bold in the following sentence is in common usage in your area or has an eccentric connotation?

“I’m good enough to borrow a plane from, but not good enough to be invited to the wedding?” complained one Clinton friend, who remembered the times he handed over his jet and his pilot to take Bill Clinton around the country but had not landed a coveted invitation to Chelsea Clinton’s nuptials.

nuptials = the social event at which the ceremony of marriage is performed

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Yes, although it doesn't have to be a "social event". "The couple are looking forward to their impending nuptials" = "...their impending marriage".

Chambers Dictionary (which I tend to use in preference to online dictionaries) gives:

nuptial (adj) - of or relating to marriage
    (noun) - marriage; wedding ceremony

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

Re: nuptials

Here are a few additional expressions connected with the notion in question:

tie the nuptial knot figurative meaning
    post-nuptial excursion to Paris
    a post-nuptial settlement on a wife
    A post-nuptial agreement is a written contract executed after a couple gets married, or have entered a civil union, to settle the couple's affairs and assets in the event of a separation or divorce.
    A prenuptial agreement, after-nuptial agreement, or premarital agreement, commonly abbreviated to prenup or prenupt, is a contract entered into prior to marriage or civil union by the people intending to marry.

nuptial = marriage, wedding - usually used in plural
    to officiate at nuptials
    perform the nuptials

V.
    Last edited by vil; 24-Jul-2010 at 14:42.