Interested in Language
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • United States
      • Current Location:
      • United States

Cool I believe this sentence is poor grammar, but I need professional support.

I am working on a website for a new client who is very proud of her grammar skills, and does not take criticism well, but I think this is a bad sentence...

"Creating memorable celebrations can take up to three hundred hours to plan!"

My feeling is that either "Creating" or "to plan" need to be omitted, but I would like some professional input on this. Maybe I am wrong.

Thank you for any help.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: I believe this sentence is poor grammar, but I need professional support.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzznyc View Post
    I am working on a website for a new client who is very proud of her grammar skills, and does not take criticism well, but I think this is a bad sentence...

"Creating memorable celebrations can take up to three hundred hours to plan!"

My feeling is that either "Creating" or "to plan" need to be omitted, but I would like some professional input on this. Maybe I am wrong.

Thank you for any help.
    I would tend to agree with you. You don't "plan a creation" - well, you can, but I don't think it works here. I would be more inclined to remove "to plan" than "creating".

I suppose it's possible that planning a memorable celebration might take one hundred hours, but then actually creating it might take three hundred hours!

Perhaps "The creation of a memorable celebration/event can take up to three hundred hours of planning"? I realise that that still includes "create" and "plan" but I think it sounds a little better.

The basic problem here is that the planning of a celebration and the actual creation of it are two different things.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • England
      • Current Location:
      • England

An interesting question, Liz.

In principle, I agree with you, but the original sentence is well enough expressed to be acceptable.

I wouldn't risk upsetting a client over it.

Try quietly leaving out 'creating' and seeing if she notices the omission. If she insists on reinstating it - live with it.

Rover

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

I think I'd let the client be right in this case, even if she's not. There aren't many people who'd see a problem here; and if your client wrote it, she can't blame for you for any crticism by grammarians who visit the site.