Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Hi everyone!
" People with insomnia have one or more of the following: difficulty falling asleep, waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep, waking too early in the morning and unrefreshing sleep."

Could anyone tells me why we use Ving in here ?
Thanks for answering me !

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi everyone!
" People with insomnia have one or more of the following: difficulty falling asleep, waking up often during the night and having trouble going back to sleep, waking too early in the morning and unrefreshing sleep."

Could anyone tells me why we use Ving in here ?
Thanks for answering me !

The sentence is badly constructed. It's wrong to say that people with insomnia have walking up often during the night.
The sentence would be OK if it started with:
"People with insomnia suffer from the following: ... " because although you don't "have" walking up often, you can "suffer from" waking up often.
The words you've bolded are nouns - gerunds.

By the way, 'advice' is uncountable. You can't have 'an advice'.

SweetThief

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
The sentence is badly constructed. It's wrong to say that people with insomnia have walking up often during the night.
The sentence would be OK if it started with:
"People with insomnia suffer from the following: ... " because although you don't "have" walking up often, you can "suffer from" waking up often.
The words you've bolded are nouns - gerunds.

By the way, 'advice' is uncountable. You can't have 'an advice'.

Thank you very much! Could you tell me more about "nouns - gerunds" ? We use in which case ? Thanks!

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Thank you very much! Could you tell me more about "nouns - gerunds" ? We use in which case ? Thanks!
You can do a search for 'gerunds' on this site or Google, and you'll get a lot of information.
(That dash in 'nouns - gerunds' doesn't belong to the name. (It's not a hyphen). I just meant that a gerund is a noun)

Status
Not open for further replies.