Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi all...

Is there any straightforward clue when to use which?! :roll: I'd appreciate if you could help me with this...Ta!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

For something to be "electronic" it would have to have some computer chips (integrated circuits) in it.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
We use ‘electrical’ to describe systems, industries, components and certain machines or devices. Consider the following:

• Electrical appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers use a lot of electricity.
  • My new car has electrically-operated windows.
  • My house was full of electrical and electronic (note: not ‘electronical’) equipment.
  • The electrical and mechanical engineering industries are doing well at the present time.

We use ‘electric’ to describe things to do with current and voltage, simpler machines and devices and the atmosphere. Consider the following:

• An electric fire in winter and an electric fan in summer were all I needed.
  • The electric wiring in this house needs to be renewed.
  • The atmosphere was electric when Tina Turner came on stage.

Source: the BBC website.

In my opinion, 'electronic' and 'electrical' mean the same!

[I am not a teacher]

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan

How about an electrical storm? ;-)

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
How about an electrical storm? ;-)
I searched the web and found both, electric and electrical storms. I'd have writ 'electric' instead of 'electrical'. And your example might be an exception to the rule.;-)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
----- I am not an ESL teacher -----

No, they do not share quite the same meaning.

It is difficult to define them and tell the differences. But electrical is somewhat more simple and more rude, while electronic is somewhat more refined.
From your examples, I wouldn't call washing machines nor dishwashers electronic devices, although I wouldn't say it is wrong. Of course there are many washing machines which claim to be electronic, just because of their modern electronic circuits. I stick with SothingDave's answer, nowadays the main point for a device to be considered electronic rather than only electrical seems to be its having chips (integrated circuits).

PS1) A foreign language student must learn that there are few, if any, real true synonyms.
PS2) One of the symptoms that you have reached an advanced foreign language level is when you begin to worry about synonyms.

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
I think the following is true:

- All electronic devices are electrical, but not all electrical devices can be considered electronic. In order to be considered electronic, you need a "plus" (which nowadays comes mainly from transistors and IC's).

Usually a lamp, for instance, is only a electrical device, not an electronic one. But when I think about an "electronic lamp" I figure it must have a "plus", it should be for instance an automatic lamp or a remote control operated one or something like that.

Regarding the difference between "electrical" and "electric" it turns out, for me at least, to be much more tougher. I liked Offroad's explanation about it. And there are many many information about it in the Internet, just perform searches like "electrical and electric" or take a look on some good dictionaries.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Very nice point, Ymnisnky.

And ... rules are made to be broken:

How would you explain 'electric bill' instead of 'electricity bill'?

Ha.;-)

Abstract Idea

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
United States
Very nice point, Ymnisnky.

And ... rules are made to be broken:

How would you explain 'electric bill' instead of 'electricity bill'?

Ha.;-)

Hmm, maybe this is related to a difference between AmE and BrE.
Take a look at this neighboring thread also started by Mehrgan
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/126838-lights-electricity-went-off.html
While Gillnetter asks who paid the "electric bill" (AmE), emsr2d2 points out he would have paid were it the "electricity bill" (BrE).

I think it would be nice if other members could confirm this.

Offroad

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Brazilian Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hmm, maybe this is related to a difference between AmE and BrE.
Take a look at this neighboring thread also started by Mehrgan
https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/126838-lights-electricity-went-off.html
While Gillnetter asks who paid the "electric bill" (AmE), emsr2d2 points out he would have paid were it the "electricity bill" (BrE).

I think it would be nice if other members could confirm this.
Yes. I know that in the US they call it 'electric bill'.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I've found this old interesting thread, unfortunately closed, regarding "electric" and "electrical":

https://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/92736-electric-electrical.html

Old threads that haven't had new posts are closed automatically after a certain period of time. It stops astroturfers and spammers using search and posting endlessly in old threads with their keywords. It can also stop trolls from reopening fights. Most of the time people use search, they're looking for information, so the threads are all still there as a source. If you do want a thread opening, just ask. :up:

Status
Not open for further replies.