Having trouble understanding this sentence

Status
Not open for further replies.

inquisitive5

Member Type
Student or Learner
Even some of the misunderstandings that occur between men and women in the same culture are traceable to subtle, culturally influenced differences in their communication patterns.

What does it mean by traceable to subtle?

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Even some of the misunderstandings that occur between men and women in the same culture are traceable to subtle, culturally influenced differences in their communication patterns.

What does it mean by traceable to subtle?

Not a teacher but my suggestion is:
Traceable = due to
Subtle = hard to detect, small

In other words - 'Even some of the misunderstandings that occur between men and women in the same culture are due to small, culturally influenced differences in their communication patterns.

I think an example could be that if a woman was talking to some of her girl friends and said something sarcastically or as a joke, if she had said that to a man, it would have been misinterpreted and might have caused offense.

inquisitive5

Member Type
Student or Learner
Not a teacher but my suggestion is:
Traceable = due to
Subtle = hard to detect, small

In other words - 'Even some of the misunderstandings that occur between men and women in the same culture are due to small, culturally influenced differences in their communication patterns.

I think an example could be that if a woman was talking to some of her girl friends and said something sarcastically or as a joke, if she had said that to a man, it would have been misinterpreted and might have caused offense.

Thanks a lot dude, I think I better understand it now.

So meaning that you can trace the misunderstandings to not obvious differences in their communication patterns.

Am I on the right track??

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Yes, I think you are.

Though I wouldn't say 'not obvious differences', it is right, but just doesn't sound correct to me. 'Small' or 'minor' I think would fit better eg. 'Meaning that you can trace the misunderstandings to small/minor differences in their communication patterns'

Or in fact subtle would probably fit better, but you have the meaning of the sentence correct (in my opinion anyway).

Hope this helps.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Thanks a lot dude, I think I better understand it now.

So meaning that you can trace the misunderstandings to not obvious differences in their communication patterns.

Am I on the right track??

Yes, but the author does say some of the misunderstandings.

Status
Not open for further replies.