Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

The death toll now stands at 20, and more than 500 people are still being treated for their injuries after panic broke out in a tunnel leading to the festival grounds on Saturday afternoon.

toll = an amount or extent of loss or destruction, as of life, health, or property

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of the expression in bold in the following sentence?

The death toll now stands at 20, and more than 500 people are still being treated for their injuries after panic broke out in a tunnel leading to the festival grounds on Saturday afternoon.

toll = an amount or extent of loss or destruction, as of life, health, or property

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

Death toll only applies to loss of life. "Property" cannot die. "Damage to health" if it didn't involve "death" would not come under "death toll".

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Death toll only applies to loss of life. "Property" cannot die. "Damage to health" if it didn't involve "death" would not come under "death toll".

But this applies only to the phrase 'death toll'. 'Toll' on its own (related to the German Zoll) can be applied to health (in my usage anyway); you just can't say 'health toll'. You can, however, say things like 'X took/exacted a heavy toll on her health'. ("heavy toll" +health - Google Search shows 137,00 - most of them seem to be American or Canadian though, judging from the first page.)

This doesn't apply directly to property (the appropriate word might be tax or fee or rent or service charge, depending on context), but there are roads/bridges... where you have to pay a toll; and these are called, in Br English, 'toll roads/bridges...'.

b

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Come to that I quoted the full interpretation of the notion “toll” for the present case and not that of the whole phrase “dead toll”.

In the narrow sense of the word toll = loss; victim

The earthquake took a heavy toll on several villages.

In several villages in the earthquake has taken many lives.

V.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Come to that I quoted the full interpretation of the notion “toll” for the present case and not that of the whole phrase “death toll”.

toll = loss; victim

The earthquake took a heavy toll on several villages.

In several villages in the earthquake has taken many lives.

V.

"The earthquake took a heavy toll on several villages" could cover a multitude of things - the death toll, damage to property, damage to the environment.

"...has taken many lives" only refers to death, as I'm sure you know!

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
In the long run we made clear our positions.:-D