What does "antidisestablishmentarianism" mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

[number]

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Lebanon
Current Location
Lebanon
No I kid,

Is the expression "I feel with you" the informal form of "I sympathize with you"?
Because I couldn't find it on the site for idioms..

antidisestablishmentarianism,
Number

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

"I feel with you" is not an expression in American English.

"I feel for you" is an expression of sympathy.

Leandro-Z

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
It doesn`t exist or it is a word made up by someone.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
You'll see things like 'The way I feel with you', etc, meaning when I am with you.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It doesn`t exist:?: or it is a word made up by someone.
It was a word coined for one particular area of discussion in the history of the Church of England. It is no longer used, and has few if any other uses: the C of E is an 'established church' - that is, its position in the country is formally recognized in an administrative way. The monarch is head of the C of E - the Queen 'chooses' the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is its chief cleric. (In fact, people advise her, but she signs the bit of paper). Bishops sit in the House of Lords (bishops of the C of E, that is).

At some time (centuries ago) there was a movement against this. Members of this group were 'Disestablishmentarians'. People opposed to them... you can guess the rest. It was probably made up as a joke, but it was used at the time.

Today though the word remains only as a curiosity - and it isn't even anywhere like 'the longest word in the language' - which it was touted as being, before bio-chemistry really got going!

b

Last edited:

moscowdance13

Member Type
Other
It was a word coined for one particular area of discussion in the history of the Church of England. It is no longer used, and has few if any other uses: the C of E is an 'established church' - that is, its position in the country is formally recognized in an administrative way. The monarch is head of the C of E - the Queen 'chooses' the Archbishop of Canterbury, who is its chief cleric. (In fact, people advise her, but she signs the bit of paper). Bishops sit in the House of Lords (bishops of the C of E, that is).

At some time (centuries ago) there was a movement against this. Members of this group were 'Disestablishmentarians'. People opposed to them... you can guess the rest. It was probably made up as a joke, but it was used at the time.

Today though the word remains only as a curiosity - and it isn't even anywhere like 'the longest word in the language' - which it was touted as being, before bio-chemistry really got going!

b

he said he was kidding about the whole antidisestablishmentarianism.

Status
Not open for further replies.