Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
Hi there

I wanted to know if you have a word ending in [t], for example "stopped" and it is followed by another [t] as in

"stopped to..."

is the [t] of stopped spelled?

We have seen in phonetics and phonology that words like (musn't can't wasn't weren't aren't, etc) the [t](voiceless alveolar plosive) is not spelled when it is followed by any consonant("consonant" as sound,of course).

Is there any rule for this?

I have that the [t] in "stopped practising" is spelled,though it is followed by a consonant(as sound)!

Any help?

Ernesto

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hi there

I wanted to know if you have a word ending in [t], for example "stopped" and it is followed by another [t] as in

"stopped to..."

is the [t] of stopped spelled?

We have seen in phonetics and phonology that words like (musn't can't wasn't weren't aren't, etc) the [t](voiceless alveolar plosive) is not spelled when it is followed by any consonant("consonant" as sound,of course).

Is there any rule for this?

I have that the [t] in "stopped practising" is spelled,though it is followed by a consonant(as sound)!

Any help?

Ernesto
The 't' is always spelled. I think you mean pronounced.
I disagree that the 't' in the negative modals is not pronounced. If the phrase is "You can't put that here", the /t/ is articulated at the alveolar ridge even though it's not released. You can't say "You can'put that here" without the tongue approximating the alveolar ridge.

Whether the [t] of 'd' is released in "stopped to" is variable.

Ermaks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
The 't' is always spelled. I think you mean pronounced.
I disagree that the 't' in the negative modals is not pronounced. If the phrase is "You can't put that here", the /t/ is articulated at the alveolar ridge even though it's not released. You can't say "You can'put that here" without the tongue approximating the alveolar ridge.

Whether the [t] of 'd' is released in "stopped to" is variable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yes I wanted to mean " pronounced" ,you are right

Oh! I'm thrilled. Because according to our teacher, it is not pronounced. She said because of the "elision".Then it is not pronounced

Ernesto

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
A lot of teachers think that. ;-) But 'I can't trap it' doesn't sound the same as 'I can't wrap it'. As Raymott says, the [t] isn't always released. Sometimes it's replaced (or accompanied) by a glottal stop ([ʔ]) (even in educated speakers who would deny it vehemently!) But some kind of speech sound marks the end of 'can't'.

b

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've been brooding more and more about this. It explains the trouble I have with some students who have been taught to have a local accent. Maybe there are valid political reasons for this, and maybe oversimplifying English phonology makes life easier for some teachers, but I find it very frustrating . :eek:nfire:;-)

b

apiz

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Malay
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
Maybe we should consider Weak Form and Strong Form also in this case.

Ermaks

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Spanish
Home Country
Argentina
Current Location
Argentina
So it all comes down to a simple problem of the allophonic variant : "Ellision":?:

Status
Not open for further replies.