Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Thanks for your check and comment:-D

Some people who failed at school can be highly successful in their adult life, discuss why does this happen? And what are the main factors to get a successful life?

It seems that most of the parents nowadays pay keen attention to their children's schooling, and children's academic performance is considered, by them, to be a key factor determining children's future. However, a host of historical facts can prove that a considerable number of successful personages did not act very well, or even poor, in their schooling. Therefore, in this essay, in terms of what are the determinants for success, I will present my own views and possible reasons.

First of all, a successful individual often shows his/her talent in a specific field. For instance, on most occasions, a president can not be a famous artist at the same time, and usually a notable basketball player can not be an agricultural professor simultaneously. However, the present grading system of school education tends to evaluate the student's overall performance rather than the course which he/she excels in, thereby making the capable student who is specialized in some field seem ordinary.

Secondly, some of the geniuses who should have been able to get an excellent grade choose to do part-time job to gain experience for their long-term goals, which in fact affects their schoolwork seriously. Taking Bill Gates for example, who had the experiences of doing part-time job when he was in university. Due to the career he pursues, his academic record was poor. So he finally chose to leave school, which yet did not block his way to success. His dropout does not mean he was not able to gain a good academic achievement, because he passed exams and entered Harvard.

Lastly, there do exist people who become successful in adulthood though they did not show any talent at school someday. It may have something to do with their persisting pursuit and the abilities of self improvement.

In conclusion, the reason why we usually find high achievers with a bad school record can be attributed to 3 reasons——the biased grading system in school, giving up courses for higher goal, being not bright but with resolve and constancy. As to factors on which one depends to succeed, I think there are also at least 3 points, namely, a passionate interest in some field or subject, to give to get, and a strong willpower to avoid interference and overcome difficulties.

xiaoxiaoca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
bump up
:-D

xiaoxiaoca

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
This still needs some editing. It was the American writer Mark Twain who said, "I never let schooling interfer with my education."

Thanks Gillnetter, you mean the discussion should not be confined in school. I should extend my debate in a wider range.

Status
Not open for further replies.