Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

"At one point in the movie Toy Story 3, Buttercup calls Mr. Pricklepants "Baron Von Shush".

what is that supposed to mean??? Who is Baron Von Shush? hat does it mean to call somebody with that name?

Thanks.

Nightmare85

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
**Neither a teacher nor a native speaker.**

Hello,
I don't even know this movie, but I checked my dictionary for the word "shush".
Shush! = Be quiet!

Does this make sense for the scene in the movie?
And "Baron von" is a name, a bit like a title.
(I guess many nobles wear such names, similar to that one.)

In case this doesn't make any sense, just ignore my post :)

Cheers!

Heterological

Member Type
English Teacher
Nightmare has it exactly right. "Shush" is something we say to ask people to stop talking. There's a scene in one of the Austin Powers movies that uses a similar gag. Dr. Evil's son keeps arguing with him, and Dr. Evil's response varies along those lines: "www-dot-shush-dot-com!"

Susan612

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

"At one point in the movie Toy Story 3, Buttercup calls Mr. Pricklepants "Baron Von Shush".

what is that supposed to mean??? Who is Baron Von Shush? hat does it mean to call somebody with that name?

Thanks.

I just saw this movie with my kids and If I remember correctly, Mr. Pricklepants is a character who has the demeanor and accent of a Shakespearean actor, so by callling him Baron Von Shush, they're making fun of his pretentiousness by suggesting he's a member of the nobilty. As others have said, "shush" is something you say to quiet someone and in that scene he was constantly shushing everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.