• Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

tense

Hello,

1) I have passed all the interviews I have given till date. -- Is the sentence correct?

2) I got a job in Seattle but could not accept the offer due some health problem. ---- Is the sentence correct?

3) A few books are lying on the table or some books are lying on the table. ---- Which one is correct?

Thanks and regards,

Rita
    Last edited by rita_b; 29-Jul-2010 at 07:18.

• Post Thanks / Like

Re: tense

Quote Originally Posted by rita_b View Post
    Hello,

1) I have passed all the interviews I have given till date. -- Is the sentence correct?
    Almost--change "till" to "to."

2) I got a job in Seattle but could not accept the offer due some health problem. ---- Is the sentence correct?
    "due to some health problems."

3) A few books are lying on the table or some books are lying on the table. ---- Which one is correct?
    Either one is fine.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

• Post Thanks / Like

Personally, I'm not sure about "I've passed all the interviews I've given..."

If you've passed interviews, then I assume you mean you were the person being interviewed and you were successful.

To me, if you "give an interview", you either grant access to an interviewer who has asked permission to interview you (for example, a celebrity "gives an interview to Hello magazine") or, in the case of a job interview, you are the interviewer.

If you mean that you have been successful at all your job interviews up to now, then I would say "I've passed all the interviews I've sat (or taken)..."

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Australia
      • Current Location:
      • Australia

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    If you mean that you have been successful at all your job interviews up to now, then I would say "I've passed all the interviews I've sat (or taken)..."
    That would be my understanding too, but since Heterological didn't object to it, maybe it's different in AmE ?
    Also, I'm not sure about the concept of "passing every interview". Does that mean every time you've been to an interview, you've got the job? Does it mean that if ten people are applying for one job, nine have to fail the interview?

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    That would be my understanding too, but since Heterological didn't object to it, maybe it's different in AmE ?
    Also, I'm not sure about the concept of "passing every interview". Does that mean every time you've been to an interview, you've got the job? Does it mean that if ten people are applying for one job, nine have to fail the interview?
    You know, I actually just glossed over that; I was looking at grammar rather than meaning. I think I mentally inserted a "been" before "given," which would change the phrase to the passive. I've heard the expression "pass an interview" before, though; that might be a BrE/AmE distinction.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Bengali; Bangla
      • Home Country:
      • India
      • Current Location:
      • India

• Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I really liked your discussions. Thanks!

Actually I wanted to say " I have passed most of the job interviews I have attended to date". Hope this sounds ok. Please let me know.

I have attended a very few interviews to date.

Awaiting a quick reply from your end.

Regards,

Rita
    Last edited by rita_b; 30-Jul-2010 at 10:21.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • Laos

• Post Thanks / Like

due to some health problem.
    If it is one problem, I would use a health problem- your version sounds a bit informal.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • Canada
      • Current Location:
      • Canada

• Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raymott View Post
    No, we would seldom if ever say an interview was given in this context. A star givers an interview to a paper, but then they aren't passed or failed, generally. For job interviews, as is the apparent case here, we'd say "I've passed all the interviews I've had."