Results 1 to 9 of 9
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Russian
      • Home Country:
      • Russian Federation
      • Current Location:
      • United States

    • Join Date: Jul 2010
    • Posts: 49
    #1

    in the beginning - at the beginning

    Dear teacher,
    please advise:

    In (at?) the beginning of last summer I took swim (swimming?) class.

    Thank you.

  1. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #2

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by sbrodsky View Post
    Dear teacher,
    please advise:

    In (at?) the beginning of last summer I took swim (swimming?) class.

    Thank you.
    At the beginning of last summer, I took swimming classes.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 2,993
    #3

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    And I have a similar question to that. What is the difference between...
    In front of
    At front of

  2. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #4

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    And I have a similar question to that. What is the difference between...
    In front of
    At front of
    "At front of" doesn't exist.

    In front of is usually used regarding a location with regard to another object, (frequently when outside):

    I am standing in front of the hotel.
    The woman stood in front of her house.

    "At the front of..." is very similar, but they're not always interchangeable

    I'm at the front of the queue (line).
    The synopsis is at the front of the book.

    I'm hoping someone else will pitch in here to give a better explanation of when we use which one, as my brain is failing me at the moment!!!

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 2,993
    #5

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    "At front of" doesn't exist.

    In front of is usually used regarding a location with regard to another object, (frequently when outside):

    I am standing in front of the hotel.
    The woman stood in front of her house.

    "At the front of..." is very similar, but they're not always interchangeable

    I'm at the front of the queue (line).
    The synopsis is at the front of the book.

    I'm hoping someone else will pitch in here to give a better explanation of when we use which one, as my brain is failing me at the moment!!!
    But look this "There is a blackboard at the front on which we write with chalk."
    Why did it not become in front of. Maybe both of them have several usage in some sentences.

  3. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #6

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    But look this "There is a blackboard at the front on which we write with chalk."
    Why did it not become in front of. Maybe both of them have several usage in some sentences.
    The blackboard is "at the front of the classroom" but it's "in front of the children".

    If you can replace "in front of" with "facing" then it's correct.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 2,993
    #7

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    The blackboard is "at the front of the classroom" but it's "in front of the children".

    If you can replace "in front of" with "facing" then it's correct.
    So that is. But I prefer to say "There is a blackboard in front of us on which we write with chalk." Is this sentence OK?

    Sorry about annoying.

  4. emsr2d2's Avatar
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

    • Join Date: Jul 2009
    • Posts: 41,902
    #8

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by atchan View Post
    So that is. But I prefer to say "There is a blackboard in front of us on which we write with chalk." Is this sentence OK?

    Sorry about annoying.
    I remember the thread in which that sentence appeared, and I believe I was one of the people who changed "There is a blackboard in front of us..." to "There is a blackboard at the front of the classroom..."

    The reason I did this is that the location of the blackboard is constant, whether there are students in the room or not. Even when the classroom is empty of students, the blackboard is still located at the front of the room. The blackboard is only "in front of us" when the students are actually there. The rest of the paragraph described the fairly permanent attributes of the classroom (the walls, desks, tables, ceiling) etc, so describing the blackboard in relation to the rest of the room made more sense.

    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Somali
      • Home Country:
      • Somalia
      • Current Location:
      • Saudi Arabia

    • Join Date: Apr 2010
    • Posts: 2,993
    #9

    Re: in the beginning - at the beginning

    Quote Originally Posted by emsr2d2 View Post
    I remember the thread in which that sentence appeared, and I believe I was one of the people who changed "There is a blackboard in front of us..." to "There is a blackboard at the front of the classroom..."

    The reason I did this is that the location of the blackboard is constant, whether there are students in the room or not. Even when the classroom is empty of students, the blackboard is still located at the front of the room. The blackboard is only "in front of us" when the students are actually there. The rest of the paragraph described the fairly permanent attributes of the classroom (the walls, desks, tables, ceiling) etc, so describing the blackboard in relation to the rest of the room made more sense.
    Yes, you was the person who changed it to "at the front". Absolutely you are my teacher.
    Now I understood it. Thank you.
    Last edited by Atchan; 30-Jul-2010 at 00:03.

Similar Threads

  1. [General] in the beginning vs. at the beginning
    By unruly2009 in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2009, 00:10
  2. at the beginning vs. in the beginning
    By MiaL in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 14-Oct-2009, 00:04
  3. the beginning
    By beachboy in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-Mar-2008, 14:46
  4. beginning, as
    By jiang in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17-Nov-2007, 02:24
  5. in/at the beginning
    By kohyoongliat in forum Ask a Teacher
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-May-2007, 06:56

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •