Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
United States
Many products that are produced organically include vegetables, fruit, herbs, grains, meat, dairy, eggs, fibers, and flowers. Explanations?

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Not a teacher.

Produced is the right word (as something is being made - organically in this instance).

Produce would refer to the item being made eg. the eggs, vegetables, grains etc. For example - 'Many eggs, vegetables and grains are organic produce'. Meaning that they are being made (or produced) by organic methods.

I think this is what you were getting confused over, please let me know if you need further assistance.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think "...that are produced.." is a passive sentence, so you can't use "produce" here.
Thank you !

stonecold

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
United States
Shroob, your answer is so confusing. Would you agree with CrazyGeek's answer?

shroob

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Sorry about that. I'll try and clear things up, I'm not a teacher but a native speaker.

I was trying to say that 'produced' is the correct word to use in that sentence. 'Many products that are produced organically include vegetables, fruit, herbs, grains, meat, dairy, eggs, fibers, and flowers'.

In the UK (probably elsewhere as well) produce can mean farm related goods eg. eggs, grains and vegetables etc. So the items on the list would be called 'produce'.

If you wanted to use the word 'produce' the sentence would read - Vegetables, fruit, herbs, grains, meat, dairy, eggs, fibers, and flowers are all examples of produce that can be produced organically.

I hope this helps.

Reactions: vil

vil

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bulgarian
Home Country
Bulgaria
Current Location
Bulgaria
Here are a few words in addition of the very clear explanation of shroob.

produce (v) = To make or yield products or a product: an apple tree that produces well

[FONT=&quot]produce (n) = [/FONT][FONT=&quot]1. something produced; a product.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2. farm products, especially fresh fruits and vegetables, considered as a group[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

Produce[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] is a generalized term for a group of farm-produced goods, not limited to fruit and vegetables (i.e. meats, grains, oats, etc.). More specifically, the term "produce" often implies that the products are fresh and generally in the same state as where they were harvested. In supermarkets the term is also used to refer to the section where fruit and vegetables are kept. Produce is the main product sold by greengrocers, farmers' markets, and fruit markets.

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Regards,[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

V.[/FONT]

Last edited:

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
After reconsidering, I think your sentence should be "Many products such as ... are produced organically" or "Many products are produced organically including ...".
Your sentence is a compound sentence with main clause and subordinate clause. The subordinate clause in your sentence is after the word "that" as well as the "(that) are produced..", but I think it doesn't sound nice so I corrected.
If you want to use "produce" instead of "produced", you must use it as a noun not a verb, maybe you must adjust the sentence a lot.
The key problem is the use of passive form and the meaning of the word "produce".
Thank you !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Many products that are produced organically include vegetables, fruit, herbs, grains, meat, dairy, eggs, fibers, and flowers. Explanations?

When we use a construction such as this, we use the past tense ending:

A lot of music that is played on the radio these days is terrible.
Some of the clothes being worn this summer include maxi-dresses, mini-skirts and off-the-shoulder blouses.
Many TV shows that are made on a low budget star people we have never heard of.

As far as your original sentence goes, the only change I would make would be to remove "Many..." from the beginning. As it is written, it suggests that many organic products include vegetables, fruit etc (amongst their ingredients!)

Products that are produced organically include vegetables, fruit...

Organically-produced products include vegetables, fruit...

stonecold

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Cambodia
Current Location
United States
My only question is why it is past tense (produced). I think the answer is the sentence structure. It is passive and that's why there is the "d".

that is played, being worn, and that are made are all passive. I do understand the meaning of produce (verb and noun).

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My only question is why it is past tense (produced). I think the answer is the sentence structure. It is passive and that's why there is the "d".

that is played, being worn, and that are made are all passive. I do understand the meaning of produce (verb and noun).

Yes, that's exactly why.

The girl wears/is wearing the blouse. (present simple/present continuous)
The blouse is worn/being worn by the girl. (Worn takes the past tense form).

My cat eats/is eating a mouse. (present simple/present continuous)
A mouse is eaten/being eaten by my cat. (Eaten takes past tense form).

As you can see, after "being", the relevant verb takes what appears to be the past tense form in order to create the passive present / passive present continuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.