Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
On a church bulletin during the minister's illness: "GOD IS GOOD. Dr. Hargreaves is better.

Could you plese tell me where the humor is in the above joke? Does Dr.Hagreaves have special meaning here?

(It is difficult for me to know the poit in the English jokes.)

tien-sung

Taiwan

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
On a church bulletin during the minister's illness: "GOD IS GOOD. Dr. Hargreaves is better.

Could you plese tell me where the humor is in the above joke? Does Dr.Hagreaves have special meaning here?

(It is difficult for me to know the poit in the English jokes.)

tien-sung

Taiwan
To me, the statement is only mildly humorous! Nonetheless, the church bulletin was letting the congregation know that the minister (Dr. Hargreaves) is recovering from his illness. Example: "GOD IS GOOD. Dr. Heargreaves is feeling better." :)

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To me, the statement is only mildly humorous! Nonetheless, the church bulletin was letting the congregation know that the minister (Dr. Hargreaves) is recovering from his illness. Example: "GOD IS GOOD. Dr. Heargreaves is feeling better." :)
:up: Not a rib-tickler, but your analysis is right. The humour derives from the contrast between the actual meaning (as given by amigos4) and the meaning the context encourages the reader to impose (inappropriately contrasting 'good'/'more good').

b

Status
Not open for further replies.