Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I need a help. Can any teacher proofread these two stories? Yes, They can. I am sure.

7) Hassan helps
Hassan saw a blind man who was having a box and trying to cross the street. The cars were filling the street. Hassan went to the blind man and took the box from him. Then he caught his hand and passed him to the other side. The blind man raised his hands to the heaven then said “oh my God, save this guy and succeed him in his homework.​

8) My father and my mother
Oh my God, the generous who donates all the blessing. This is my father, the best father. For us how he tires. And my mother bless her and as same as her for her kindness. Oh my god, bless and save them for us.​

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
7) Hassan helps
Hassan saw a blind man who was having a box and trying to cross the street. The cars were filling the street. Hassan went to the blind man and took the box from him. Then he caught his hand and passed him to the other side. The blind man raised his hands to the heaven then said “oh my God, save this guy and succeed him in his homework.​

8) My father and my mother
Oh my God, the generous who donates all the blessing. This is my father, the best father. For us how he tires. And my mother bless her and as same as her for her kindness. Oh my god, bless and save them for us.​

My suggestions are:

Hassan helps: Hassan saw a blind man carrying a box, trying to cross the street. The street was full of cars. Hassan went and took the box from him. He took his hand and helped him to the other side. The blind man raised his hands to Heaven and said "Oh God, save this man and help him succeed in his ????????" (homework is the work you are given to do at home, by your teacher).

My father and mother: Oh generous God, who blesses us all. Bless my father, the best father, for how he tires himself for us. And bless my mother for her kindness. Oh my God, bless and save them.

I assume your second piece is meant to be a prayer of some description.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
My suggestions are:

Hassan helps
Hassan saw a blind man carrying a box, trying to cross the street. The street was full of cars. Hassan went and took the box from him. He took his hand and helped him to the other side. The blind man raised his hands to Heaven and said "Oh God, save this man and help him succeed in his ????????" study (homework is the work you are given to do at home, by your teacher).

My father and mother
Oh generous God, who blesses us all. Bless my father, the best father, for how he tires himself for us. And bless my mother for her kindness. Oh my God, bless and save them.

I assume your second piece is meant to be a prayer of some description.Yes, that right.
Thank you very much.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How did the blind man know that Hassan was a student? Would he not be more likely to say something like "Please help him succeed in everything he does"?

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
How did the blind man know that Hassan was a student? Because he was a child and it is obviously known that children study at school.
Would he not be more likely to say something like "Please help him succeed in everything he does"? No, I don’t think so. He just desired to help him.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
How did the blind man know that Hassan was a student? Because he was a child and it is obviously known that children study at school.
Would he not be more likely to say something like "Please help him succeed in everything he does"? No, I don’t think so. He just desired to help him.
Atchan

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
1) Where in your post did it say that Hassan is a child? I suppose it's possible that if Hassan is very young, then the blind man would have noticed that Hassan has very small hands when he held his hand to cross the road. According to your story, the two did not have a conversation on the way across the road so the blind man cannot have worked it out that way.

2) If he's a child, why did your original post say that the blind man said "Please help this guy"? "Guy" is a colloquial term for a man, or at the very most, a teenager. I certainly assumed you meant "man", which is why I would not expect him to have homework, or at least I would not expect the blind man to think he would have homework.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
1) Where in your post did it say that Hassan is a child? I suppose it's possible that if Hassan is very young, then the blind man would have noticed that Hassan has very small hands when he held his hand to cross the road. According to your story, the two did not have a conversation on the way across the road so the blind man cannot have worked it out that way. Before I translate

2) If he's a child, why did your original post say that the blind man said "Please help this guy"? "Guy" is a colloquial term for a man, or at the very most, a teenager. I certainly assumed you meant "man", which is why I would not expect him to have homework, or at least I would not expect the blind man to think he would have homework.
Before I translated this Arabic tale to English I studied it well. There were a picture on the top of the story which appeared a blind man and a child. Really I blundered when I was translating. I said a guy rather than a child!

I utilized from your last post because I realized that a “guy” is a colloquial term for a man, or at the very most, a teenager. In the past I thought that a guy means all masculine levels including a child. Really you are a helpful person. Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Before I translated this Arabic tale to English I studied it well. There [STRIKE]were[/STRIKE] was a picture [STRIKE]on[/STRIKE] at the top of the story which [STRIKE]appeared[/STRIKE] showed a blind man and a child. Really, I blundered when I was translating. I said a guy rather than a child!

[STRIKE]I utilized from[/STRIKE] Your last post was useful because I [STRIKE]realized[/STRIKE] now know that a “guy” is a colloquial term for a man, or at the very most, a teenager. In the past I thought that a guy means all masculine levels including a child. [STRIKE]Really[/STRIKE] You are a helpful person. Thank you.

You're welcome! It's important to remember when you post here that the only information we have is what you write! We didn't know there was a picture of a child and there was no way for us to work that out.

That's why context and full sentences etc are vital.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
You're welcome! It's important to remember when you post here that the only information we have is what you write! We didn't know there was a picture of a child and there was no way for us to work that out.

That's why context and full sentences etc are vital.
The more I write something in English, the more I do mistakes. Anyway, I will try to explain what I write. Thank you.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
But the more you learn!
The more I learn English, the more my mistakes be less.

And with this nice forum I will go on studying.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I wanted to encourage you to keep writing little paragraphs. In another forum, we have a user who for four years has written only one sentence at a time. His English has hardly progressed at all. By writing longer paragraphs, you will make more mistakes, yes, but you will start to get the feeling for writing. I'm glad you feel encouraged and not discouraged when you get corrections.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I wanted to encourage you to keep writing little paragraphs. In another forum, we have a user who for four years has written only one sentence at a time. His English has hardly progressed at all. By writing longer paragraphs, you will make more mistakes, yes, but you will start to get the feeling for writing. I'm glad you feel encouraged and not discouraged when you get corrections.
I will start writing sentences again. On the other hand I will write short paragraphs. And I will continue writing tales because that will support me when I writing email letters to my friends.

Status
Not open for further replies.