[Idiom] be never enough to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiamajia

Member Type
Student or Learner
If I am given two minutes to make a speech to introduce a big event, I think the time allowed is not enough. In this context, can I say:

Two minutes is never enough to fully introduce the event.

Have I misused 'never' here? Thank you.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
I think you can !
Thank you !

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If I am given two minutes to make a speech to introduce a big event, I think the time allowed is not enough. In this context, can I say:

Two minutes is never enough to fully introduce the event.

Have I misused 'never' here? Thank you.

You can, although "never" isn't really used with its true definition here. I'm sure you could find lots of people who have found that two minutes is enough/more than enough time to introduce an event.

You're saying that in your experience up until now of introducing events, two minutes has not been enough, but of course it's possible that in the future you might find that it is enough.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You're saying that in your experience up until now of introducing events, two minutes has not been enough, but of course it's possible that in the future you might find that it is enough.

Which means that if this is the first time you're trying to introduce the event, then it's an inappropriate use.

Two minutes isn't enough time to do this event justice... that means that the event is so great that it deserves/merits more time.

crazYgeeK

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Vietnam
Maybe something is too difficult to do if we don't want to say that it is impossible (although you try to train yourself for a lifetime).
For example: Who can type at the speed of 1000 words per minute ? I'm sure that we never find that man or will find him on the other planets not on our Earth.
Something is possible to you but impossible to me.
Thank you very much !

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Which means that if this is the first time you're trying to introduce the event, then it's an inappropriate use.

Two minutes isn't enough time to do this event justice... that means that the event is so great that it deserves/merits more time.

:up: But there is - in Br Eng, at least - a very colloquial usage, implying something stronger than "not": 'That was never you in the green hat! [I don't believe it - green's not your colour]' (In the context of a discussion about the length of a presentation, this sort of informality would almost certainly be inappropriate.)

b

Status
Not open for further replies.