Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi teachers, I have written sentences, but now in new style and also having one question relating to its tense. Welcome to check them.

Simple Present Tense​

Active Voice: Willy grins and thanks his mother when she gives him a toy.
Passive Voice: Willy’s mother is being grinned to her and thanked by Willy when she gives him a toy.
Gerund Form: Willy’s grinning and thanking of his mother is after she gives him a toy.

Active Voice: The cooker grinds the nuts then buys them in his grocery.
Passive Voice: The nuts are being grinded by the cooker then buys them in his grocery.
Gerund Form: The grinding of the nuts is a good job for the cooker.

Active Voice: Andy dares to touch his snake because it doesn’t have a deadly poison.
Passive Voice: Andy’s snake is being touched by him because it doesn’t have a deadly poison.
Gerund Form: Andy’s daring of touching his snake is because he knows that it doesn’t have a deadly poison.

Active Voice: The teacher informs the children to do exercise at the evening.
Passive Voice: The children are being informed to do exercise at the evening by their teacher.
Gerund Form: The teacher’s informing of doing exercise to his children is something nice.

Active Voice: Aunt fakes a stomachache when she doesn’t want to go to the school.
Passive Voice: A stomachache is being faked by Aunt when she doesn’t want to go to the school.
Gerund Form: Aunt’s faking of stomachache is when she doesn’t want to go to the school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: In the simple present tense. Does the next verb should be added (s) when representing as singular or not?
Example: The cooker grinds the nuts then buys them in his grocery.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Simple Present Tense​

Active Voice: Willy grins and thanks his mother when she gives him a toy.
Passive Voice: Willy’s mother is being grinned [STRIKE]to her[/STRIKE] at and thanked by Willy when she gives him a toy.
Gerund Form: Willy’s grinning and thanking [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] his mother [STRIKE]is[/STRIKE] after she gives him a toy. (This is the present continuous form - "Willy's grinning")

Active Voice: The [STRIKE]cooker[/STRIKE] cook (or chef) grinds the nuts then buys (I think you mean "sells") them in his grocery store.
Passive Voice: The nuts are being [STRIKE]grinded[/STRIKE] ground by the [STRIKE]cooker[/STRIKE] cook (or chef) then [STRIKE]buys[/STRIKE] sold in his grocery store.
Gerund Form: The grinding of the nuts is a good job for the [STRIKE]cooker[/STRIKE] cook (or chef).

Active Voice: Andy dares to touch his snake because it isn't lethally poisonous.
Passive Voice: Andy’s snake is being touched by him because it isn't lethally poisonous.
Gerund Form: Andy’s daring to touch his snake because he knows that it isn't lethally poisonous.

Active Voice: The teacher [STRIKE]informs[/STRIKE] tells the children to do exercise [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in the evening. (When you inform someone of something, you give them information. Here, I think you mean that the teacher gave them an order, so "to tell" is the appropriate verb.)
Passive Voice: The children are being [STRIKE]informed[/STRIKE] told by their teacher to do exercise [STRIKE]at[/STRIKE] in the evening [STRIKE]by their teacher[/STRIKE].
Gerund Form: The teacher’s informing the children that [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] doing exercise [STRIKE]to his children[/STRIKE] is [STRIKE]something[/STRIKE] nice.

Active Voice: My aunt fakes a stomach ache when she doesn’t want to go to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] school.
Passive Voice: A stomach ache is [STRIKE]being[/STRIKE] faked by my aunt when she doesn’t want to go to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] school.
Gerund Form: My aunt’s faking of stomach ache is what she does when she doesn’t want to go to [STRIKE]the[/STRIKE] school.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question: In the simple present tense. [STRIKE]Does[/STRIKE] Should the next verb [STRIKE]should[/STRIKE] be added (s) when representing [STRIKE]as [/STRIKE] the singular or not?
Example: The cooker grinds the nuts then [STRIKE]buys[/STRIKE] sells them in his grocery.

See above for amendments.

In your final example question, yes, the verb ending has to agree throughout (grinds > sells).

You need to revise your use of "to buy" and "to sell".

Last edited:

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
See above for amendments.

In your final example question, yes, the verb ending has to agree throughout (grinds > sells).

You need to revise your use of "to buy" and "to sell".
Yes, I meant "sell" but I wrote "buy". Sorry!

Here you are again my teacher!
Tomorrow I will not post any new thread. I will just examine thoroughly how the mistakes happened. Thank you.

This is Gerund Form: Willy’s (possessive) grinning and thanking to his mother is after she gives him a toy.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I meant "sell" but I wrote "buy". Sorry!

Here you are again my teacher!
Tomorrow I will not post any new thread. I will just examine thoroughly how the mistakes happened. Thank you.

This is Gerund Form: Willy’s (possessive) grinning and thanking to his mother is after she gives him a toy.

You don't "thank to" someone. You simply "thank" them.

I thanked my mother for the present.
He thanked his sister for giving him a lift to the airport.
I will thank you later.
She was thanking her brother for his kindness, when the phone rang.

Status
Not open for further replies.