[Grammar] Do I "invoke" or "evoke" images in another's mind??

Status
Not open for further replies.

belledge

Member Type
Other
I'm a songwriter wishing to create a bio and would like to know which is the correct way of stating the following, using 'evoke' versus 'invoke':

"Through my songs, I try to evoke / invoke images and emotions in the listener."

Which is correct? Are both correct? To clarify, the images and emotions I try to evoke / invoke can be either completely imagined by the listener, or founded on his or her actual experiences. Does that make a difference on the word selection?

Thanks in advance! :-D

shoaib 1

Member Type
English Teacher
I'm a songwriter wishing to create a bio and would like to know which is the correct way of stating the following, using 'evoke' versus 'invoke':

"Through my songs, I try to evoke / invoke images and emotions in the listener."

Which is correct? Are both correct? To clarify, the images and emotions I try to evoke / invoke can be either completely imagined by the listener, or founded on his or her actual experiences. Does that make a difference on the word selection?

Thanks in advance! :-D
well,'evoke' is the right word here.'Invoke' means 'to beg for help or inspiration from some higher powers'.
Alexander Pope invokes the muse of poetry in 'The Rape of the Lock'

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Would "conjure" be OK here? I'm not sure if I can use this word to something else than sorcery.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Would "conjure" be OK here? I'm not sure if I can use this word to something else than sorcery.
Like 'invoke', you can't 'conjure' something [up] unless it already exists (maybe in a different form). So I don't think it would be an appropriate word in this context.

b

belledge

Member Type
Other
But now I know "evoke" is the proper term. Thanks for the help folks!

Status
Not open for further replies.