Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi there,

I don't know how to ask a question about the following case. I'll give you the answer, and I hope you'll kindly give me the question.

"I'm the 14th president of this country."
Or, "I'm the 3rd teacher in that class."

I do wonder what the question is! Thanks a lot....

Ouisch

Key Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Those types of numbers are referred to as "ordinals," as they refer to a specific order of things. (The second president, the ninth in line to the British throne, etc.) :)

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks. I saw that page. Interesting! I suppose "whichth" might work better in an informal context or real life English. Especially, say, in case of my second example, "He's the 3rd teacher in that class" I don't think "ordinal number" works. I'd appreciate it if anyone could make this a bit more clear. Many thanks.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks. I saw that page. Interesting! I suppose "whichth" might work better in an informal context or real life English. Especially, say, in case of my second example, "He's the 3rd teacher in that class" I don't think "ordinal number" works. I'd appreciate it if anyone could make this a bit more clear. Many thanks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't think ordinal number works". There is an example of an ordinal number in both your examples. However, I can think of at least three possible questions which would result in the answer "He's the 3rd teacher in that class":

He's the whichth* teacher in that class?
He's the third what in that class?
In what is he the third teacher?

*I would like to point out that until the thread on here a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard nor seen "whichth"!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I find "whichth" to be an amusing non-word.

Mehrgan

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm not sure what you mean by "I don't think ordinal number works". There is an example of an ordinal number in both your examples. However, I can think of at least three possible questions which would result in the answer "He's the 3rd teacher in that class":

He's the whichth* teacher in that class?
He's the third what in that class?
In what is he the third teacher?

*I would like to point out that until the thread on here a couple of weeks ago, I had never heard nor seen "whichth"!

Thanks a lot for the reply. By "ordinal number" I mean, it sounds less likely for a schoolboy to ask a classmate "What ordinal number that teacher is?"

In your examples you've used "third", what if we don't know if he/she is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. and exactly want to ask a question to find this out? Cheers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for the reply. By "ordinal number" I mean, it sounds less likely for a schoolboy to ask a classmate "What ordinal number that teacher is?"

In your examples you've used "third", what if we don't know if he/she is the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc. and exactly want to ask a question to find this out? Cheers.

Without using the rather bizarre "whichth" (see my first suggested question in my previous post, which would elicit the answer "He's the third teacher...") I can't really think of an exact way to do it.

You could ask "How many other teachers have taught that class before him?" Answer "Two other teachers". This would lead you to extrapolate that he is the third teacher, but it wouldn't actually elicit the answer "He's the third teacher..."

Maybe "Is he the first teacher...?"
Answer "No, he's the third teacher..."

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
In Polish we say something like "which in the order". Is it correct in English?

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hi there,

I don't know how to ask a question about the following case. I'll give you the answer, and I hope you'll kindly give me the question.

"I'm the 14th president of this country."
Or, "I'm the 3rd teacher in that class."

I do wonder what the question is! Thanks a lot....

********** NOT A TEACHER **********

Hello, Mehrgan.

Tom: What number president was Abraham Lincoln?

Mona: Oh, he was the 16th.

Thank you

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
:?: - only if you say which order you're referring to; and then you'd probably say 'where does X come in the order of Y?'

b
Hmm... Maybe I used a wrong word. I meant a situation when it's obvious which order (maybe you call it otherwise?) we're talking about. Like
"which president in the order was X". But OK, I understood that it's not right in English.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hmm... Maybe I used a wrong word. I meant a situation when it's obvious which order (maybe you call it otherwise?) we're talking about. Like
"which president in the order was X". But OK, I understood that it's not right in English.

Hold your horses! [="don't rush to that conclusion"]. It makes sense like that, but to my ear it would be better if you said "which president in the order of presidents was X".

b

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Hold your horses! [="don't rush to that conclusion"]. It makes sense like that, but to my ear it would be better if you said "which president in the order of presidents was X".

b
Thanks, I was wondering why on Earth it should be incorrect. :)

~Mav~

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hungarian
Home Country
Europe
Current Location
Europe
*** NOT A TEACHER ***

I can't help but wonder why on earth there is not a phrase like "how manieth" in English. :roll: It would make this question much easier to answer, let alone to ask. :lol:

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Give it time! In a few hundred years there may be... ;-) But, for now, that expression only exists as an occasional joke.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.