Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
Here's an interesting question: if someone tells you that "Joe speaks good Spanish because he has lived in Spain for two years" - would that mean that Joe is still living in Spain now, or it it possible that his living in Spain took place at some indefinite time in the past and it's a case of "resultative perfect"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Here's an interesting question: if someone tells you that "Joe speaks good Spanish because he has lived in Spain for two years" - would that mean that Joe is still living in Spain now, or it it possible that his living in Spain took place at some indefinite time in the past and it's a case of "resultative perfect"?

I think I would have to ask for clarification. To me, it could mean "he has lived there for two years and still lives there" or simply "he has lived there for two years". I would probably be inclined to think he was still there but it wouldn't be absolutely clear.

If you said "he has lived there for two years now" I would know he was still there.

If you said "he lived there for two years" I would know it was over and he now lives somewhere else.

If you said "he's been living there for two years", I would know he was still there.

HighPriest

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I would probably be inclined to think he was still there but it wouldn't be absolutely clear.
That's the answer I was looking for! Thanks! :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.