• Native Language:
      • Bulgarian
      • Home Country:
      • Bulgaria
      • Current Location:
      • Bulgaria

abominable

Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of adjective “abominable” in the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

No, never, upon my word," said the head under the neck-cloth, shaking very much--"that is, yes--what abominably cold weather, Miss"--and herewith he fell to poking the fire with all his might, although it was in the middle of June.

Skoda Yeti just the crossover for abominable winter weather.

Road conditions were abominable after heavy snow but I still got to church on time - along with a neighbor, who sings in the choir.

I cannot get over his abominable behavior.

I can not get used to his disgusting behavior.

abominable = loathsome, mean, vile, disagreeable, highly unpleasant

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.

• Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • British English
      • Home Country:
      • UK
      • Current Location:
      • UK

Re: abominable

Quote Originally Posted by vil View Post
    Dear teachers,

Would you be kind enough to tell me whether I am right with my interpretation of adjective “abominable” in the expressions in bold in the following sentences?

No, never, upon my word," said the head under the neck-cloth, shaking very much--"that is, yes--what abominably cold weather, Miss"--and herewith he fell to poking the fire with all his might, although it was in the middle of June.

Skoda Yeti just the crossover for abominable winter weather.

Road conditions were abominable after heavy snow but I still got to church on time - along with a neighbor, who sings in the choir.

I cannot get over his abominable behavior.

I can not get used to his disgusting behavior.

abominable = loathsome, mean, vile, disagreeable, highly unpleasant

Thanks for your efforts.

Regards,

V.
    Your definition is correct. I have a couple of points though:

Skoda Yeti? I assume this is the name of a car (and that crossover is a motoring term?) and that the sentence you typed is some kind of advertising campaign for it. If so, it needs a break of some description between the name of the car and the rest of the quote.

Skoda Yeti - just the crossover for abominable winter weather.

As far as your having to made it to church successfully, you don't need a comma after "neighbour".

Road conditions were abominable after heavy snow but I still got to church on time - along with a neighbor who sings in the choir.