Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Dear all,

A director talking about Tom cruise and how he likes to him in a role that shows his softer side. He says:

"THE GUY IN “JERRY MAGUIRE” WHO LIKE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO RENEE ZELLWEGER WHEN SHE SAYS I LOVE YOU OR THE GUY WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH DUSTIN HOFFMAN IN “RAINMAN,” I'M ALWAYS THAT KIND OF LIKE, HOW DO I RESPOND TO THIS GUY? I REALLY LOVE SEEING HIM AGAIN. ONLY THIS TIME IT'S THE SUPER SPY WHO DOESN'T QUITE KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP. "

What is the meaning of respond here?

Sorry for the long quote!

Thanks a lot

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Not a teacher.

He is asking himself how seeing this actor in these roles makes him think and feel. How does he react to this actor? What response does the actor provoke in him? How does he respond?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all,

A director talking about Tom cruise and how he likes to him in a role that shows his softer side. He says:

"THE GUY IN “JERRY MAGUIRE” WHO LIKE DOESN'T KNOW WHAT TO SAY TO RENEE ZELLWEGER WHEN SHE SAYS I LOVE YOU OR THE GUY WHO DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH DUSTIN HOFFMAN IN “RAINMAN,” I'M ALWAYS THAT [KIND OF LIKE], "HOW DO I RESPOND TO THIS?" GUY. I REALLY LOVE SEEING HIM AGAIN. ONLY THIS TIME IT'S THE SUPER SPY WHO DOESN'T QUITE KNOW HOW TO DEAL WITH BEING IN A RELATIONSHIP. "

What is the meaning of respond here?

Sorry for the long quote!

Thanks a lot

Please note that I have amended the actual quote that I think you're confused by. The section I have marked in red and in quotes is the important part.

The writer is describing himself as the kind of guy who always thinks "How do I respond to this?" in lots of situations.

In this context "respond to" can mean "reply", meaning he doesn't know what to say back to someone who has just spoken to him. It can also mean "react to". If you don't know how to "respond to" a particular situation, it means you just don't know what to do.

In Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise's character doesn't know what to say when Renee Zellwegger says "I love you", in Rain Man he doesn't know how to deal with Dustin Hoffman's character, and now in his new film (I assume one of the Mission Impossible films?), he doesn't know how to behave in a romantic relationship.

The writer is saying that he feels the same in a lot of situations. Something happens and he just thinks "How do I deal with this?" or "How do I respond to this?"

So he is describing himself as a "How do I respond to this?" guy! You can ignore the words "kind of like" just before the quote as they are redundant.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That makes more sense punctuated like that.

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Please note that I have amended the actual quote that I think you're confused by. The section I have marked in red and in quotes is the important part.

The writer is describing himself as the kind of guy who always thinks "How do I respond to this?" in lots of situations.

In this context "respond to" can mean "reply", meaning he doesn't know what to say back to someone who has just spoken to him. It can also mean "react to". If you don't know how to "respond to" a particular situation, it means you just don't know what to do.

In Jerry Maguire, Tom Cruise's character doesn't know what to say when Renee Zellwegger says "I love you", in Rain Man he doesn't know how to deal with Dustin Hoffman's character, and now in his new film (I assume one of the Mission Impossible films?), he doesn't know how to behave in a romantic relationship.

The writer is saying that he feels the same in a lot of situations. Something happens and he just thinks "How do I deal with this?" or "How do I respond to this?"

So he is describing himself as a "How do I respond to this?" guy! You can ignore the words "kind of like" just before the quote as they are redundant.

Thanks a lot for your thorough answer (as usual). Still, I don't know if it's something negative or positive???

Second thing is that the new movie is (knight and day)

If you can kindly provide me with examples?

Thanks

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot for your thorough answer (as usual). Still, I don't know if it's something negative or positive???

Second thing is that the new movie is (knight and day)

If you can kindly provide me with examples?

Thanks

It's perhaps a little bit negative! I imagine the writer would be happier if he actually knew what to do in most situations, instead of being confused as to what to do. But it's not very negative! It's just not positive! He's simply making a statement. He might be perfectly happy to be that kind of person!

Ah, yes, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are in Knight and Day, I believe.

Can I provide you with examples of what?!

maiabulela

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
It's perhaps a little bit negative! I imagine the writer would be happier if he actually knew what to do in most situations, instead of being confused as to what to do. But it's not very negative! It's just not positive! He's simply making a statement. He might be perfectly happy to be that kind of person!

Ah, yes, Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz are in Knight and Day, I believe.

Can I provide you with examples of what?!

Thanks a lot. I got it. no need for the examples. lol you know, when we sleep on something we don't need examples :-D thanks a lot:up::up::up:

Status
Not open for further replies.