Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Is this sentence phrased well? Is the word "disconnection" in place?

Although nation A takes the liberty to slam nation B, humiliate it and provoke against it, nation A would not go so far as to bring about an irreversible disconnection from nation B.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this sentence phrased well? Is the word "disconnection" in place?

Although nation A takes the liberty to slam nation B, humiliate it and provoke against it, nation A would not go so far as to bring about an irreversible disconnection from nation B.

Do you mean disconnection as in absolutely cutting off all ties with nation B?

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Incidentally, you don't 'provoke against' anything. You provoke sb to do sth, or you behave provocatively towards them [not against].

A useful collocation for such a 'disconnection' is 'break off/sever* relations/ties'.

Note, only one e; pronounced /'sevǝ/

b

PS I've just noticed: 'takes the liberty to slam' sounds very odd on two counts - perhaps three:

• You 'take the liberty of doing sth'
  • 'Slam' sounds very unusual, with 'nation' as an object
  • 'Taking liberties', or 'taking the liberty' are acts of social reprehensibility: for example, kissing someone like a long-lost friend when you've only just met them is 'taking a liberty'.

Last edited:

motico

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hebrew
Home Country
Israel
Current Location
Israel
Incidentally, you don't 'provoke against' anything. You provoke sb to do sth, or you behave provocatively towards them [not against].

A useful collocation for such a 'disconnection' is 'break off/sever* relations/ties'.

Note, only one e; pronounced /'sevǝ/

b

PS I've just noticed: 'takes the liberty to slam' sounds very odd on two counts - perhaps three:

• You 'take the liberty of doing sth'
  • 'Slam' sounds very unusual, with 'nation' as an object
  • 'Taking liberties', or 'taking the liberty' are acts of social reprehensibility: for example, kissing someone like a long-lost friend when you've only just met them is 'taking a liberty'.

Please, tell me if this version is better:

Although nation A allows itself to criticize severely nation B, humiliate it and incite against it, nation A would not go so far as to cut off all ties with nation B.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Although nation A allows itself to strongly criticize [STRIKE]severely[/STRIKE] nation B, humiliate it and incite ... against it, nation A would not go so far as to cut off all ties with nation B.

You need a noun after "incite". For example "to incite hatred". You don't simply "incite against..."

I'm also not sure about "Nation A allows itself..." A nation cannot allow anything, it's an inanimate object. It's the people/politicians etc who actually criticise something, who could be considered Nation A. I've left it in for now.

Perhaps:

Although Nation A often criticises Nation B very strongly, and incites hatred towards it, Nation A would not go so far as to sever all ties with Nation B.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

Although nation A allows itself to criticize nation B severely [note new position] , humiliate it and incite against:?: it, nation A would not go so far as to cut off all ties with nation B.
It's an improvement, and fine after the comma! But - in Br Eng at least - You "incite <noun>" (ex: violence, hatred...), or you "incite sb to do sth".

b

Status
Not open for further replies.