Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Hi everyone, I have new sentences, so check them please.

Active Voice: Peter refused to give his brother one dollar because he is stingy.
Passive Voice: Peter’s brother was refused to give one dollar by Peter because he is stingy.
Gerund Form: Peter’s refusing to give his brother one dollar made him a stingy.

Active Voice: Tom betrayed his girlfriend because he married another girl.
Passive Voice: Tom’s girlfriend was betrayed by him because he married another girl.
Gerund Form: Tom’s betraying of his girlfriend was after he married another girl.

Active Voice: A lion devoured a gazelle after it became hungry.
Passive Voice: A gazelle was devoured by a lion after it became hungry.
Gerund Form: A lion’s devouring of a gazelle was after it felt a hunger.

Active Voice: Somalia’s government tried to control Mogadishu but other forces fought it.
Passive Voice: Mogadishu was tried to control by Somalia’s government but other forces fought it.
Gerund Form: Somalia government’s trying to control Mogadishu was a fail because it’s too weak.

Active Voice: A bear attacked John and his friends but he defended himself while his friends fled.
Passive Voice: John and his friends were attacked by a bear but he defended himself while his friends fled.
Gerund Form: A bear’s attacking of John and his friends was in Moscow.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I don't believe this. More than 20 hours and no one had proofread it, although, it is easy.

Last edited:

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Unfortunately, they are not easy.

Active Voice: Peter refused to give his brother one dollar because he is stingy. Okay.

Passive Voice: Peter’s brother was refused to give one dollar by Peter because he is stingy.
No. Peter's brother was not given a dollar by Peter because Peter is stingy? A dollar was refused by Peter to his brother? The giving of a dollar? All are awkward.

Gerund Form: Peter’s refusing to give his brother one dollar made him a stingy.

He was stingy, and therefore, he didn't give the dollar. The refusal is not what made him stingy. Peter's stinginess was the cause of his refusal to give his brother a dollar.

Active Voice:
Tom betrayed his girlfriend because he married another girl. Okay

Passive Voice: Tom’s girlfriend was betrayed by him because he married another girl. Okay

Gerund Form: Tom’s betraying of his girlfriend was after he married another girl.

I'd suggest betrayal instead of betraying and it wasn't after he married her, it was the act of marrying her that was the betrayal.

Active Voice: A lion devoured a gazelle after it became hungry. Okay

Passive Voice: A gazelle was devoured by a lion after it became hungry. Okay. Any reasonable person will know it's the lion who is hungry and not the gazelle, although the "it" could grammatically mean either one.

Gerund Form: A lion’s devouring of a gazelle was after it felt a hunger.
This is a wholly unnatural sentence.

Active Voice: Somalia’s government tried to control Mogadishu but other forces fought it.
Okay

Passive Voice: Mogadishu was tried to control by Somalia’s government but other forces fought it.
Control for Mogadishu was attempted by Somalia's government...

Gerund Form: Somalia government’s trying to control Mogadishu was a fail because it’s too weak.
Try "attempt to control" not "trying to control" -- you made up the rest of the sentence with new information not in the original.

Active Voice: A bear attacked John and his friends but he defended himself while his friends fled.
Okay

Passive Voice: John and his friends were attacked by a bear but he defended himself while his friends fled.
This is your best transformation of the whole set.

Gerund Form: A bear’s attacking of John and his friends was in Moscow.

HUH??

Last edited:

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Unfortunately, they are not easy.
Thank you for your help. I want to improve my English, so that is why I want to know where my mistakes exist.

Teachers in this forum becoming less and less, I don’t know what happened them, maybe most of them traveled maybe other thing had happened. But I think the basic thing that made them not to enter this forum as frequently as they were doing before, relates to that they didn't get a surprise or a gift. Today, I started to write a topic about the teachers and soon I will finish it then I will send a copy to the administrators.

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Well, it is summer time (for many of us). People tend to take time off from the computer and do things with their families and travel, etc. It's vacation season.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I certainly don't spend as much time at the computer as I used as I have a lot of other things going on in my life. Remember that every native speaker on here gives their time and advice entirely voluntarily - I have no idea what you meant by the lack of a "surprise or gift"!

For my part, I do what I can when I can, but sometimes the longer posts and the ones like this which are going to require a lot more time and thought, I simply don't start if I don't think I can give it the required concentration. That would be a disservice to the learners.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Atchan,

Why do you want or need to transform simple sentences into passive and gerundive forms?

Native speakers do not use these constructions in normal speech.

I for one have better things to do than comment on what looks like a purely academic exercise - like helping students with more pressing needs.

Rover

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
********** NOT A TEACHER **********

Hello.

(1) I think that you are a very good student who is very serious about learning English.

(2) I think that it is fine if you want to practice the active, the passive, and the gerund.

(3) As I have respectfully suggested before, if you ask one question about the active,

passive, and gerund in each post, then more people will probably answer you more

quickly. I have noticed that the shorter posts get the fastest replies.

THANK YOU

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The Parser makes a very good point. I will readily admit that I looked at your post at some point in the 20 hours before anyone answered it. I clicked on it, saw the length of it, and clicked straight back to the main page to look at other posts.

6 separate questions, with 3 parts each. 18 sentences to consider, de-construct, make amendments to and explain the amendments if necessary. Too much.

And as Rover asked you, why do you need to change those sentences into the passive or gerund form? It's one thing to show that you understand how the passive works but to take random sentences and insist on transforming them into the passive when those sentences will really never, ever be needed in that form, is a waste of your time and of ours.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I have no idea what you meant by the lack of a "surprise or gift"!
I know that most of the members give their time and advice entirely voluntarily, but what I meant is a degree for them because there are administrators and moderators. But where is the teacher and others on this field. Please wait my thread soon (or maybe tomorrow).

OK, I realized what you mean so I will change the form of transforming a sentence to active, passive and gerund form. In each thread I will write only one form and in the next day another form which differs from the last sentences. Will that be OK? But how many sentences? 10 sentences. Please decide.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I know that most of the members give their time and advice entirely voluntarily, but what I meant is a degree for you them because there are administrators and moderators. But where is the teacher and others on this field. Please wait my thread soon (or maybe tomorrow).

OK, I realized what you mean so I will change the form of transforming a sentence to active, passive and gerund form. In each thread I will write only one form and in the next day another form which differs from the last sentences. Will that be OK? But how many sentences? 10 sentences. Please decide.

I don't understand the part marked in red.

As far as posts go, I personally would suggest you perhaps post no more than two active/passive/gerund exercises at one time. And perhaps you could try to choose sentences that are actually ever likely to be useful to you.

Active: The cat eats the mouse.
Passive: The mouse is eaten by the cat.
Gerund: The cat's eating of the mouse was disgusting to watch.

I realise those are simplistic sentences, but they at least might actually be used in real speech.

Two exercises like that, at the most, involving six sentences in total would be what I would happily consider dealing with.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I don't understand the part marked in red.

As far as posts go, I personally would suggest you perhaps post no more than two active/passive/gerund exercises at one time. And perhaps you could try to choose sentences that are actually ever likely to be useful to you.

Active: The cat eats the mouse.
Passive: The mouse is eaten by the cat.
Gerund: The cat's eating of the mouse was disgusting to watch.

I realise those are simplistic sentences, but they at least might actually be used in real speech.

Two exercises like that, at the most, involving six sentences in total would be what I would happily consider dealing with.

OK, I agreed. But the highlighted sentence that you didn't understand it, I think you will know it tomorrow. I don't want to uncover my ideas now. Goodbye Teacher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.