new city

Status
Not open for further replies.

95broadway

Member Type
Student or Learner
I would appreciate it if somebody could correct the grammar of my very short statement including this sentense.

When staying in a new city, using buses and trains are preferable than using taxis,since taxis, although convenient, limit the possibility of meeting and communicating with local people.
City maps and bus route maps should be available at most hotels and stores, so get one and go explore the new city;-)!

Last edited:

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
I would appreciate it if somebody could correct the grammar of my very short statement including this sentense.
This one is fine, :).
When staying in a new city, using buses and trains IS preferable TO using taxis, since taxis, although convenient, limit the possibility of meeting and communicating with local people.
City maps and bus route maps should be available at most hotels and stores, so get one and go explore the new city;-)!
This one is perfect! :)

Last edited:

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I would appreciate it if somebody could correct the grammar of my very short statement, including these sentences:

When staying in a new city, using buses and trains is preferable to using taxis, since taxis, although convenient, limit the possibility of meeting and communicating with local people.

City maps and bus route maps should be available at most hotels and stores, so get one and [STRIKE]go[/STRIKE] explore the new city;-)!

Rover

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
I think "this sentence" should be fine because what the author meant by "this" when he wrote that was the first sentence he was writing. The first sentence clearly does not belong to the statement he made below.

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I think "this sentence" should be fine because what the author meant by "this" when he wrote that was the first sentence he was writing. The first sentence clearly does not belong to the statement he made below.
I agree, but this shouldn't distract 95broadway from the correction of the spelling "sentenCe". Also, I'd avoid any possibility of the scope of the request by using parentheses: '...(including this sentence)'.

Note also that 'so get one and go explore the new city' identifies this as Am Eng (or Br Eng with an American attitude ;-)). The standard Br Eng would be 'So get one, and go and explore...' which sounds to me a bit lugubrious (it doesn't have the right 'breezy' feeling), so I'd prefer 'So get one and start exploring....'.

b

meobeo

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Vietnamese
Home Country
Vietnam
Current Location
Australia
Note also that 'so get one and go explore the new city' identifies this as Am Eng (or Br Eng with an American attitude ;-)).
Yeah, I've noticed that. In some American TV series I've watched, lots of people say something like:"OK, let's go eat." or "I'll go get the key."

Status
Not open for further replies.