Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Please proofread this letter because I want to send it to the administrators.
UsingEnglish Team

This forum is one of the best forums that I have ever seen. In the past few years I was in another forum but it was lacking of teachers. In this forum we have everything, asking questions, proofreading, writing topics and more and more, I cannot count all of them here.

What going on in this forum force us to create a new group but the person who create a new group aren’t us it is the responsibility of the administrators? So we should raise our voice loudly in order to able the administrators to accept our suggestion.

Every day before I slept I ponder about this forum and what is lacking of. Then I realized that there are a group of members who working hard to help others but they weren’t promoted. I don’t know why but they deserve to be promoted.

In this forum, there are administrators and moderators but what will happen if we create a new group called “UsingEnglish Team” won’t that be incredible?

I have an idea for them which is to create a new group called “UsingEnglish Team” which includes the best members like (emsr2d2, TheParser, Raymott, Rover_KE, Gillnetter, bhaisahab, and others) Sorry if I forgot an active member.

This unique idea that I showed you will develop our forum greatly. Can we have a united voice? Yes, we can. Let us repeat it. Yes, we can. Yes, we can.

Note: Please pin this thread on Ask- a teacher’s section.

Administrators: 2
Red5 (Webmaster)
Tdol

Moderators : 8
RonBee
MrPedantic
Ouisch
Curmudgeon
BobK
Anglika :cry:
Testtest
Barb_D

UsingEnglish Team
emsr2d2
TheParser
Raymott
Rover_KE
Gillnetter
Bhaisahab
+
+

Last edited:

TheParser

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
UsingEnglish Team

This forum is one of the best forums that I have ever seen. In the past few years I was in another forum but it was lacking of teachers. In this forum we have everything, asking questions, proofreading, writing topics and more and more, I cannot count all of them here.

What going on in this forum force us to create a new group but the person who create a new group aren’t us it is the responsibility of the administrators? So we should raise our voice loudly in order to able the administrators to accept our suggestion.

Every day before I slept I ponder about this forum and what is lacking of. Then I realized that there are a group of members who working hard to help others but they weren’t promoted. I don’t know why but they deserve to be promoted.

In this forum, there are administrators and moderators but what will happen if we create a new group called “UsingEnglish Team” won’t that be incredible?

I have an idea for them which is to create a new group called “UsingEnglish Team” which includes the best members like (emsr2d2, TheParser, Raymott, Rover_KE, Gillnetter, bhaisahab, and others) Sorry if I forgot an active member.

This unique idea that I showed you will develop our forum greatly. Can we have a united voice? Yes, we can. Let us repeat it. Yes, we can. Yes, we can.

Red5 (Webmaster)
Tdol

RonBee
MrPedantic
Ouisch
Curmudgeon
BobK
Testtest
Barb_D

UsingEnglish Team
emsr2d2
TheParser
Raymott
Rover_KE
Gillnetter
Bhaisahab
+
+

********** NOT A TEACHER **********

Hello, Atchan.

(1) You have certainly made some interesting suggestions.

(2) Before you send your note to the administrators, would you

kindly remove my name from your proposed "UsingEnglish Team."

As I always warn readers, I am not a teacher, and I do not have the

knowledge or experience that is possessed by the other persons named on

your "UsingEnglish Team." Those persons (and others whom you have

not named) are indeed outstanding. They are able to answer the most

difficult questions, and many of them have been doing so for many

years. Their talent is indeed awesome.

THANK YOU

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
UsingEnglish Team

This forum is one of the best forums that I have ever seen. In the past few years I was in another forum but it was lacking [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] in teachers. In this forum we have everything, asking questions, proofreading, writing topics and more and more, I cannot count all of them here.

What
[STRIKE]going[/STRIKE] goes on in this forum forces us to create a new group but [STRIKE]the person who[/STRIKE] we don't create [STRIKE]a[/STRIKE] new groups, [STRIKE]aren’t us it is the responsibility of[/STRIKE] the administrators do. So we should raise our voices loudly in order to [STRIKE]able[/STRIKE] bring the administrators' attention to [STRIKE]accept[/STRIKE] our suggestion.

Every day before I
[STRIKE]slept[/STRIKE] sleep I ponder [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] this forum and what is lacking [STRIKE]of[/STRIKE] here. [STRIKE]Then[/STRIKE] I realized that there are a group of members who work[STRIKE]ing[/STRIKE] hard to help others but they [STRIKE]weren’t[/STRIKE] aren't promoted. I don’t know why but they deserve to be promoted*. (*I'm not sure what you mean by promoted - as in getting a promotion at work, or as in promotional material ie advertising?)

In this forum, there are administrators and moderators but what
[STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would happen if we created a new group called the “UsingEnglish Team”? [STRIKE]won’t[/STRIKE] Wouldn't that be incredible?

I have an idea for
[STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] this, which is to create a new group called “UsingEnglish Team” which includes the best members like (emsr2d2, TheParser, Raymott, Rover_KE, Gillnetter, bhaisahab, and others). Sorry if I forgot an active member.

This unique idea
[STRIKE]that I showed you[/STRIKE][STRIKE]will[/STRIKE] would develop our forum greatly. Can we have a united voice? Yes, we can. Let us repeat it. Yes, we can. Yes, we can.

Red5 (Webmaster)
Tdol

RonBee
MrPedantic
Ouisch
Curmudgeon
BobK
Testtest
Barb_D

UsingEnglish Team
emsr2d2
TheParser
Raymott
Rover_KE
Gillnetter
Bhaisahab
+
+

I have made some amendments to your post.

I have a few issues, however. Whilst I am flattered to appear on your proposed list, I'm not clear how you would propose that the new group would work. Are you asking the team to create a whole new section (in addition to "Ask a Teacher", "Teaching English" etc) called "UsingEnglish Team" where only the members on your list can answer the questions? Or do you propose simply that the suggested people show up as members of the "UsingEnglish Team" under their username when they reply?

My concern with the latter is that if someone asks a question, and they receive four or five responses from users not on your new team, they might not consider the responses to be as reliable as those from the UE Team. This would be entirely unfair as the other responders may have given perfectly correct and acceptable answers, yet the OP might wait for a reply from the UE Team.

My other concern is that this could appear somewhat elitist. Whilst it's true that some members do post more responses than others (and without wishing to take anything away from those people), quantity does not necessarily reflect quality. I know that my responses, for example, are (I hope) quite helpful with idiomatic usage, colloquialisms, spelling, punctuation etc, they are certainly not up to the standards of others when it comes to grammar. Again, there is a concern that someone who only posts a couple of times a week might be seen as less reliable even though their answers might be perfectly accurate and full of interesting information.

I would be interested to see the opinions of the administrators/moderators on the topic, and to more dialogue about it.

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
Ask a teacher section is enough for us as students. I don’t mean to create a new group but I mean to show up “UsingEnglish Team” under their usernames just like the moderates. My friend TheParser apologized but what about the others, will they agree?

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Hello Atchan,

Your idea might appear to have merit, but I would prefer to remain an independent, individual commentator without the obligations that team membership might entail.

Have you considered the disadvantages? Teams are formed when individuals cannot perform a function satisfactorily by themselves. Individuals then have to subordinate some of their personal choices to the those of the team. Team members then have to toe the team line. Teams are good when they are needed, but have you considered whether such a structure is really needed here?

To keep the group vibrant and honest, contributors need to be able to disagree, argue and, in some cases, ignore each other. This is not team behaviour.
I'd also reiterate emsr2d2's point about elitism. Selecting a Team would cause much personal conflict - for no apparent benefit.

Lastly, you say this is a great group. If it’s not broke, why fix it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
To add to Raymott's point about teamwork, there is also a danger that posters would expect the members of the UE Team to agree on the answers to queries. There are already multiple examples as evidence that that isn't always the case! :)

Atchan

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Somali
Home Country
Somalia
Current Location
Saudi Arabia
I didn't think about the consequences and disadvantages that will happen if the teamwork was created. Anyway, it was my suggestion and I am happy to get something about your opinions. It is nice to uncover your ideas - not to conceal them forever specially when its benefit. Thanks for the responds.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I have moved the thread here to discuss it- forget proofreading. ;-)

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Atchan, I'm replying in this thread only because you have asked me to. I saw this thread before but thought I had nothing valuable to say. Nothing has changed since then. I still have nothing valuable to say.

I'm not sure what would be the point of creating such a team. Do you think it would make the forums a better place?

I feel people who do such a great job explaining the English language to us can't be thanked enough. So if your point is to show how much we appreciate their help, I would say your idea is a way of doing that. But as it has been said already, there are some problems about this idea.

RonBee

Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The point of having a UsingEnglish Team eludes me. I do agree that Raymott's contributions have been quite worthy. As a moderator I am already a member of the team, but there are no rules and no structure. We do what we can do when we have the time and inclination. That's the way it is.

:)

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I join the ranks of those who are opposed to this idea. Like some of the others, I don't really see the point of it.

If it is your desire to 'recognise' people whose answers are consistently helpful, then it is difficult to see how you could do this in a way that satisfies everybody. And, as others have pointed out, this might appear to create an elite team, effectively devaluing the answers of those not on the team.

Besides, you didn't include me on your list of possible members:-o:cry:, so it's clearly an uninformed, divisive, prejudiced, silly, etc idea:snipersm:.

And that last sentence is perhaps an example of how some might feel if not selected. By the time somebody is invited to be a moderator, I doubt if there is anybody on the forum who doubts the wisom of the choice. If we have a members' choice team there will be quite a few who have doubts.

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Besides, you didn't include me on your list of possible members:-o:cry:, so it's clearly an uninformed, divisive, prejudiced, silly, etc idea:snipersm:.
Atchan posted before you joined us.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Atchan posted before you joined us.
I hadn't noticed the date, but I was not serious, as I hope my brilliant (?) use of smilies and my final paragraph showed.

Uh oh. As I wrote that I sudenly thought, "BC is not being serious". That's the trouble with attempts at slightly self-mocking humour - you can be caught in exactly the same sort of traps as you set for others.

I am going to make an attempt to be completely non-cynical, non-sardonic and non-wry from now on. I am also going to give up smoking and drinking. I am also .....

birdeen's call

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
But we still have over a month. :-D

Red5

Webmaster, UsingEnglish.com
Staff member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am going to make an attempt to be completely non-cynical, non-sardonic and non-wry from now on. I am also going to give up smoking and drinking. I am also .....
Well it IS nearly the season for resolutions... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.