Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

How to reduce your accent!

I suppose this is a very big task and that you guys can not answer me easily.
    Actually, I do take some courses to reduce my accent, but it seems not work me out effectively.
    How to sound more like the native English speaker?

Do you guys have smart short-cut or tricks that can help me out?

Your suggestion will be highly appreciated, thx.

Re: How to reduce your accent!

practice, practice, practice, and then some more practice

I am an American ESL teacher who works with students online to help reduce their accent. Let me know if you're interested in working with me. Take a look at my web page. Online Language Services

I have been in US about six years and still had a very strong accent. Even though, I always spoke English with my friends around me but my asian accent never improved!!! Just today I did a recording of my own voice and I sounded so funny...like my accent was so thick. Could anyone suggest a good method for me to improve my accent?? Does it help listening to how people speak?? Or is it neccessary watch TV everyday and listen to the way people pronounce words??

Key Member
    Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Tagalog
      • Home Country:
      • Philippines
      • Current Location:
      • Philippines

I hope this would help you.

It's right to say that one should have to practice, practice, and practice if you wish to eliminate your strong native accent. This might take some time, of course but most importantly, I think, is to know how and what to practice with.

Since we are not native English speakers, we need time to hear some people with the type of accent we want to follow. Either you wish to have an American, British, or whatever accent you wish to imitate. Some may say that the best accent and most understandable is the neutral accent used by CNN newscasters. But regardless the type, we still need to practice.

What I did with this, is to first determine the type of accent that I would be imitating. I chose the American accent. And then I picked a tape recording with someone lecturing in English. I played that tape again, and again, and again, and again... This will familiarize you with his accent, "So that's how Americans speak." And then I copied ALL that he was saying and tried to say it with him. I was really detailed about his, copying every sounds, words, everything... everything!!! I make sure I would sound like the speaker all the time. Of course, I couldn't copy his voice and accent completely but my accent was neutralized.
    And here goes the tip... Practice, practice, and practice... Do this everyday, every time possible...

I work in an on-line tutorial company...teaching English to Asians.

One of my students told me that he had an American teacher in school... and that he(American) sounds just like I do. "I flew to seventh heaven that day."

All the best!!!

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post

It's right to say that one should have to practice, practice, and practice if you wish to eliminate your strong native accent. This might take some time, of course but most importantly, I think, is to know how and what to practice with.

Since we are not native English speakers, we need time to hear some people with the type of accent we want to follow. Either you wish to have an American, British, or whatever accent you wish to imitate. Some may say that the best accent and most understandable is the neutral accent used by CNN newscasters. But regardless the type, we still need to practice.

What I did with this, is to first determine the type of accent that I would be imitating. I chose the American accent. And then I picked a tape recording with someone lecturing in English. I played that tape again, and again, and again, and again... This will familiarize you with his accent, "So that's how Americans speak." And then I copied ALL that he was saying and tried to say it with him. I was really detailed about his, copying every sounds, words, everything... everything!!! I make sure I would sound like the speaker all the time. Of course, I couldn't copy his voice and accent completely but my accent was neutralized.
    And here goes the tip... Practice, practice, and practice... Do this everyday, every time possible...

One of my students told me that he had an American teacher in school... and that he(American) sounds just like I do. "I flew to seventh heaven that day."

All the best!!!
    Hi,

Thanks for your 2 cents. I would like to reduce my strong accent as well. It's so nice to hear your successful story. May I know if you focused on every single article / reporting of the selected newscaster? Or you just focused on 1 article / reporting and kept practising?

Thanks

best,
    Martin

2. Senior Member
    Student or Learner
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • Chinese
      • Home Country:
      • China
      • Current Location:
      • China

Quote Originally Posted by blouen View Post

All the best!!!
    I have a question here, which is not related to the accent. Where does" the seventh heaven " originate from ? From Bible? We chinese usually say " the ninth heaven"?

And I admire you that you have obtained the accent similar to that of native Americans. It is very difficult to achieve that unless large amounts of time and efforts has been sacrificed! Countless language learners are wondering how they can impove their language capabilities. The biggest question here is how much time they are willing to spend on it!

You are really something!

Hi,

A lot of people struggle to improve their accent but really don't know what a "foreign" accent is in the first place. It is sort of hard to improve anything when you don't know the cause.

I go over this in great detail on Accent School - AccentSchool FREE pronunciation software. If you use the free software, the first thing you will do is learn the causes of a foreign accent and then play a sort of game about it.

Hope that you might find that sort of information helpful....I know, for a lot of students, once they understand what their problems are, they can start to fix them.

Rebecca
    Accent School - AccentSchool FREE pronunciation software

Other
    • Member Info
      • Native Language:
      • English
      • Home Country:
      • New Zealand
      • Current Location:
      • New Zealand

Quote Originally Posted by rebeccaataccentschool View Post

I go over this in great detail on Accent School - AccentSchool FREE pronunciation software. If you use the free software, the first thing you will do is learn the causes of a foreign accent and then play a sort of game about it.

Obviously any commercial enterprise such as yours would have to say that the accent it teaches is "correct", but as someone who would definitely "fail" the standards set due to my "foreign" accent, I find the whole concept of an accent school somewhat analagous to the selling of unused or never previously worn vestments to males of the highest Imperial rank. On a linguistic note, I'd be fascinated to learn what the reasons given are for the accent you choose to teach, and how you define "foreign".
    Last edited by stuartnz; 02-Apr-2008 at 00:07.