[General] Does this sentence make sense?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miao.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Hello,

I am writing a letter. so may I begin it with 'Many sorry for disturbing you, although I know you must be very busy after vacation.'

Does it make sense? I kind of feel that 'although' is not a proper connection to be used between these two sentences. But I don't know which one is better.

Look forward to your advice.

Thank you.
Miao

ps. may I say 'although' is not a proper connection to be used here; or I should have said 'although' is not a proper connection should be used here.

Last edited:

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Welcome!

I am writing a letter. so may I begin it with
'(I am very)(Very) sorry for disturbing you, because I know you must be very busy after your vacation.' :tick:

You cannot say "Many sorry". "sorry" is an adjective, so it can only be modified by an adverb, such as 'very'.

Does it make sense? I kind of feel that 'although' is not a proper connection to be used between these two sentences.
1. You have only one sentence, not two.

2. You are right; "although" is not a good conjunction there. 'because' would be suitable there, or you could avoid a conjunction by using punctuation.

a) I am very sorry to disturb you, because I know you must be very busy after your vacation. :tick:
b) I am very sorry to disturb you; I know you must be.......... :tick:
c) I am very sorry to disturb you. I know you must be........... :tick:

I look forward to your advice.

Thank you.
Miao

ps. may I say 'although' is not a proper connection to be used here; Yes, you can.

or I should have said 'although' is not a proper connection should be used here. :cross:

Miao.L

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
UK
Hello 2006, thank you for correcting my wording (I hope 'wording' is a proper word to be used here).

I have another unsure sentence; may I say ' I received a letter from government office last week and was required to do sth'. or I should say '...and they required me to do sth'?

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello 2006, thank you for correcting my wording (I hope 'wording' is a proper word to be used here). Yes, it is.

I have another sentence I am unsure about; may I say '
I received a letter from (a)(the) government office last week, which required me to do something. :tick:

Status
Not open for further replies.